MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The Old Man and the Rookie

dexnrex

This past Tuesday was the warm before the storm here in eastern Montana and my dad and son had some tags to fill. I took a day of vacation and my dad and I went out for his cow elk in the morning. The hunt went very well and he made 327 yd. shot at the last cow on public ground as the rest of the herd had made it on to a private ranch. We each packed 2 loads about 1/4 mile then put the bags on a game cart and wheeled about a mile to the pickup. I was pretty impressed with my dad at 71. Then on the way home he shot a 3pt. mulie buck.

I had 4 bags of elk meat and a mulie buck in the back of my pickup when I picked up my 12yr. old son from school and headed home and immediately to a treestand for whitetails. After we had been there about 20 minutes I rattled and a descent 4pt. came to the edge of the cover about 100 yds. away but stayed just inside the cover and raked some willows before he moved back into the trees. About 15 min. later a couple does came out near where the buck went in and shortly after the buck came back out and worked his way right up the our tree and gave my son a 40 yd. shot with his 6mm for his first buck.

I feel very fortunate to be able to hunt with my dad and my son in the same day with sucess on both ends. It's been a lot of butchering this week as well.

Attachments

• Dad elk 2013.jpg
    Dad elk 2013.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 552
  • Dex deer 13-3.jpg
    Dex deer 13-3.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 552
That's efficient use of your time off. I'll bet you were beaming at the end of that day. Well done, and congratulations to your son. That's the first of many!

Son, myself , and grandson are working on a day like that. Thanks for sharing yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back