PEAX Equipment

"The Bob" Elk - 2017

CONTINUED FROM: SALVAGE THE HUNT

We reached the point of the hairpin around 1500 and set up the full camp. The tent stove was a nice treat over the prior star filled canopy, even though that was a great view - simply too exhausted to make the most of it... My BHA hoodie sure made for a stuffed, comfy pillow. :)

View attachment 75952

His leg was hurtin'... No doubt a limitation that weighed heavy on our thoughts. We filtered some water and glassed the drainage. Didn't see anything though a burn from 2015 had some potential good opportunities, had the magnificent wapiti showed themselves.
I'll show ya a pic of the area we were glassing further on..
We sacked in for the night.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS

I didn't want to exit my mummy bag cocoon. His leg had tightened over night. I was the slow poke to get rolling though we eventually took a walk along a greened up old forest road a little later than normal the next morning. Glassed the drainage as much as possible, made an attempt to route our way up though his leg's condition called out - this was not happening. He is a tried and true tough guy with one of the kindest of hearts I know.
He gave it everything and more and still, pulled his sled onward back towards the truck at least this time along a road. Least we had done the tough portion of the pull the day before we only had two miles, give or take to reach the closed gate.

RECOVERY...?

I played a quality role as a wounded, pouting, bruised and beaten hunter when I arrived at home later that evening. My wife had the wambulance prepared. The next day I laid up and conjured up a plan to give it hell one more time. Routed to Sporting store and somehow wimpered my way to becoming the proud owner of a cycle trailer... Off I returned the next morning.

cyclepull.jpg

THE NEXT EVOLUTION BEGINS

What day was this? Oh heck it all blended together... I set up camp a bit further along the grassy forest road the morning / early afternoon the next day and propped over to a location that offered a reasonable glassing advantage. Doe and her fawn and what looked to be a buck a bit further up from them. That was it. No wapiti.
Hit the sack a bit earlier, still licking my own wounds from the prior... drag. Next morning, I woke pretty early and slep (word?) walked over to the glassing point... still nothing. Went back to the tent and snoozed another hour. I woke to the sound of steps outside my tent. Human. I spoke through the tent and said my hellos. A brief, cordial conversation took place and wished him luck in his hunt. Even though one drainage, if the wapiti are holed up there, maybe he'll push 'em my way or I'll push them his. I was a bit bummed though it is OUR land and with that, I took off onto the other side of the basin's bowl... a crispy side with little vegetation. Few prints though made a plan to see the other side. Not much else for options as it was a bit tight.

eqlhght.jpg

GAME ON!

Interesting... it was about 1330 while perched, taking a break, I glassed the other side and saw a spot of orange. Then... he bumped out some ELK! Yup... There's wapiti in them woods! Seems he didn't catch onto the bullish headed looking ones that moved to the right at that moment, I was happy to have my weighted, 10x50's.
I think he split a group as he worked his way to the left. I was a good distance away though I did not return to the woods to tickle my tummy! The Bob Marshall bordered the other side of the ridge along a trail and that was my objective! Get to the trail and work towards a little lake on the other side where I believed those elk were headed, least that is where I would go if I was an elk, right? Haha! The other side of the bowl, it looked like a good safe haven and about the right distance for elk run where water and good green was waiting... It was ugly hiking through the burned area with some blow down though not too bad... Then the steepness proceeded to increase and the degree of blow down increased as well.

sdburnday.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

CONTINUED FROM: GAME ON!

I climbed up to matching elevation levels or close to... Then a road block!

FLINSTONE'S BEDROCK QUARRY?

Wow! What planet am I on???

mrrkclmbpt2.jpg

It was a good distance, time was ticking with sun down around 1830... I was calculating time figured I may be crashing out somewhere up here... These boulders turned my intent to route around into an extremely slow process, none the less increased the danger potential. It was as if I entered, well, the Flinstone's! haha!
A low flying plane flew overhead and made what appeared to be a deviation in his/her flight plan. I had a strong suspicion I was on the right train of thought as it did a large 360* over the area. That got my blood flow going and off I went, boulder hopping!

NOT HERE FOR THE PICTURES!

But wow! In an odd way, it is pretty spectacular! And, snow! I kept thinking I would get around though the "around" kept getting further the more I covered ground - It was really kinda, Twilight Zone'ish odd!

loanstandrk.jpg

Walking stick in hand, I routed through trying to get to the other side, as seen in the pic... I kept hearing alarm bells going with the tic of time though I wanted to get to these bulls... Don't know much more to say over my thirst for getting in range though man, I had some distance to cover and these boulders were not helping!

otrsdmoon.jpg

It was simply never ending! I never would have thought such a shift in landscape would occur - so dramatically!

Sorry for the suspense - Trying to take the pic's from my phone gallery and email them to myself so I am able to access themon my computer email and download to a computer file - to get on here is a royal pain in the arse and I am far from an IT guru to figure this stuff out...

I’ll be the one to ask...? Perhaps you mentioned why and I missed it.
Would backpacking not be better than trying to use horses that you don’t know, and definitely better than pulling a sled without snow? you can always hire an outfitter to pack an elk out with their horses if you are successful.
I have pulled a sled downhill with no snow and it sucks.

CONTINUED FROM: BEDROCK QUARRY

I kept checking my map and figuring my proximity to the Bob trail... The other side could have been the moon for all my mapping intent and I feel pretty decent with my skills, it simply took forever to make progress - then the snow!

The last picture from the previous post was the start of the view of the other side.
Prior to that, this is what was to my right as I made my way to the view from that other photo. tough to keep up with thumbnail pics to follow the story... You get the idea though.

snowrock.jpg

SPOILER ALERT

I could not get to them... Not in time. It was a frustrating pill to swallow as I've not been this close (yet still so damn far) to bulls since the year before my accident with a piece of cake pack out 5x having faced the situation here and the "What if? Going to be a few days, hanging meat and possible bears(s) to contend with though I was going to make it happen! Least that is what I thought.

At the same time I felt elated to be doing this. "This" is still really undefined. It just felt good though I really wanted to at least touch the Bob's boundary line and get a move on the trail! Amazing enough, the scary side of this event is yet to unfold.

TO HUNKER IN FOR THE NIGHT OR NOT

This is my InReach tagging my location on my way from the top back down to camp. Ya, hindsight, I should have hunkered in, then again, I am not injured, so should I complain? 6 of one 1/2 dozen the other. I had two emergency blankets, a good firestarting kit including cotton balls smothered with vasoline - Actually I have to give credit to my wife. This is her fire starting kit. Water and water filter along with three chew bars and beef jerky.
I wanted to stay - I figured by tomorrow early morning to get my blood flowing and thaw out, I would be on the move bright and early and get on these guys... I don't know if you guys 'n gals would really understand, There is a real sense of wanting to accomplish harvesting an elk - just to feel, recovered, in a sense. I don't think it is something that can be explained. But it is what it is...

Inreachpicreturn.jpg

Well, a brutal night it turned to be. I felt I was making the right of two choices I had put myself in the position to make. I didn't believe the boulder country would continue. I wanted to get to the bulls. I pushed too far and placed myself in a controversial position. both choices were the wrong though one had to be made.

Downward - beginning at 1800... Yep, it was a crush to leave and I kept pushing time further and further.

DOWNWARD, BOTTOMLESS SNOW

I began my decent at 1800 and the means to avoid turned unavoidable... Seemed the area I chose to route around was a serious wall protecting a North facing snow run... I hopped rocks and found a serious threat with my trekking pole when I found no bottom with testing the steps across a portion of snow. I would be in a different world had I stepped there! It gave me a quick chill and reality check!

HEADLAMP ON

Around 1930, I turned my head lamp on.

dkdescent.jpg

CONTINUED FROM: HEADLAMP ON

The contour lines on the map are 50' increments.

Talk about thawed fire burned away vegetation - slick mud, blow downs, etc. I had a hip pack, my rifle and trekking pole. I put on my stuff sacked, down filled, ultra light jacket which has to be one of the warmest jackets I have. My leather inside facing gloves were instrumental for all the bent burned trees, shrubs and whatever else I grabbed as I slid down sections, pulled over downed trees, etc.

0dk30.jpg

Wolves

Around 2230 I heard short bark sounds from three separate locations. They were a distance off though it seemed they were trying to triangulate something's position and that put the shnitz pucker factor up a few notches. No howls, no 'yote yipping... simply occasional short, quick, sharp type bark sounds and only on occasions. Such as the one that barked from one side only barked once then again 15- 30 minutes later again, and so forth... Only thing I could think were wolves. What else? My view was basically a lighted circle that traveled maybe 50'.

I've never held thought of wolves as a fear factor while in the woods. Seems so darn hard to hunt them, I never considered them as something to fear - though I sure as hell did and prepared for such. Ammo, I had .06, 3 in the mag and one in the pipe with 4 additional rounds taped together in my bino harness and every darn time my trek pole clanked I wished I had my handgun or at least my bear spray! I figured each time I slid or tripped and slid, I would back myself against a standing burnt tree. It was crap for view and I really felt like the low one on the totem pole, so to speak.
It was scary... Their distance was my only comfort though they were in the same basin, somewhere.

Around 2330 I made it to the stream. My wife followed my progress via InReach. You can see the marks where we text each other and if you do not have such a device, I would strongly urge you to look into them! I told my wife I heard what I believed were wolves though didn't go any further with my fears that built.

BACK UP HILL???

Yup... I asked my wife how much further and she replied I seriously passed my mark! I was really tired, actually fell asleep along the stream edge for a brief few seconds. I woke as my map fell from my hands. Anyhow, filtered some water and asked her to recheck as I didn't cross any streams or roads, and my camp was at the bottom of the ravine/basin area. She said she was sure and I figured I must have missed something.
Back up, I began though for only about 30 minutes before we spoke about it again and she identified she mis-read the icons on her InReach map and took my "Start Here" notification as my camp though that "Start Here" location is back where I began my expedition down the mountain. I was happy to head back down along the stream as going uphill - was back towards the bark noise area - was not a fan of that and really had me figuring how the heck I could have passed or routed so far off my camp location!

END OF THE LONG STORY

0233 I finally made it to camp. That morning, I woke around 0700 and went to my knob for a quick glass of the areas and saw nothing. I packed up and figured it was time to close the book on this Bob adventure.

Hope some of you may take from some of my mistakes... There were several that could have turned this story very different. Sheesh, done.

/The end.

I’ll be the one to ask...? Perhaps you mentioned why and I missed it.
Would backpacking not be better than trying to use horses that you don’t know, and definitely better than pulling a sled without snow? you can always hire an outfitter to pack an elk out with their horses if you are successful.
I have pulled a sled downhill with no snow and it sucks.

We had hoped to reach our base camp within no more than four miles. From there we would either spike camp it or make hunts straight from there. Our trip consisted on approx 7 days with 5 being from our base area. Backpacking for that duration may be a viable option though Terry and even myself to that degree do not have the ultra -light gear to complete that time frame.
Several Outfitters were called none available to haul out game. Two no longer operating for 2017 having wrapped up the rifle rut time and two were unable to reach, as they must have been in the wilderness when I made calls. We actually bumped into one outfitter - really nice guy! He mentioned there were reports of a nice bull in the basin we were camped our second night and my little set of days solo. He was one I tried to contact though he stated they would not have been able to pack out anything this year - short list of people working.

I pushed it - trying to make it work. I wanted to reach the Bob and was clinging at straws for the safest of options to make that happen. Interesting enough, I was close to that boundary line for the Bob - yet didn't make it regardless the straws I tried to clinh onto. Pretty crazy series of events.

Also to use this post, Terry is doing good. He had to rest it for a couple days though it was not a tear, thankfully. He's back out trying to find a bear to wrap up his season.

You gave it hell...well done, no matter the outscome

Thanks, John. Coming from you, I appreciate that. Think I pushed it a bit too far though as they say, "Can't catch fish if you don't wet your line!" Something along those lines relate to hunting...

Oh my, are you sure you should share this? ;-)

It's a wild one, that's for sure! Heh! Ya, can't laugh at myself, I should clamp it over others. I made some fudged up a few times along this adventure for the Bob... though learned a whoop load and hopefully the first to kick myself in the arse. As well as laugh about it. Heh! :)

In light of your accident and rehab, this is truly a remarkable thing that you would even consider a solo wilderness hunt. Impressive bravery Sytes........And really wise to have your InReach for communication

In light of your accident and rehab, this is truly a remarkable thing that you would even consider a solo wilderness hunt. Impressive bravery Sytes........And really wise to have your InReach for communication

Thanks Kansasdad, Means a hell of a lot!

Here are a few pics Terry just sent.. Haha! I believe it is me getting back up from a spill. That is all we can do in life, right? One step at a time though never stop stepping. :)

P1030303.JPG

P1030304.JPG

P1030305.JPG

P1030306.JPG

I don't think I've ever met a man with a greater desire to accomplish a goal of killing an elk than you Charles. Much respect. I know you think you will be recovered when that happens, but you ARE recovered. Having the gumption and drive to accomplish your goal and the guts to persevere against that much adversity is admirable. I hope that when you finally pull the trigger on a bull, he is a monster.

Wow, I grew up in and around the Bob and I've also drug a heavy sled in the snow, and I have nothing but respect for your adventure. Good on you for going anyways despite horses, that would be a deal breaker for a lot of folks. Next time I think I have a heavy pack I'll remember I could be dragging a sled too haha. Thanks for the story and pictures, reminds me of home.

That is a great story, considering your very serious injury a few years ago, quite the inspiration to many of us.
No bear spray or hand gun in the 'Bob', what Griz would dare to take you on?!
You should change your signature to 'Montana's toughest hunter 2017'
Cheers
Richard

That's an awesome story. I've spent a small amount of time in the Bob, and I can imagine it's not an easy place to pull a sled.

Quite an adventure. I wonder if Two Bear Air would pack out an elk if you needed a rescue.

This sounds like the best trip ever! “Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.” — Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe. I've had zero tags punched in six tries and I'll go six more, or further, if I have to. The success is in the action of doing. If life was easy everyone would have one. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back