The Bird Lost

DaveHawk

IMG_5657.jpg

the birds were shut up tight. I heard 3 gobbles on the roost before sun up. Then nothing. I had one big hen come and almost walk over me early as I sat under a cedar tree from 5:30 till 11:00 AM at that time I was about ready to leave to get my seeds in the ground and looked over my shoulder in the field behind me and I see a bird and wondered if I could cut him off but then I see 2 more I take a look through the bio's and yep they had beards. There were a good 350 yards out. I kit the box call once and got a gobble from one. I had them turned. It was 35 minutes later I was laying pron and waiting for the bad boy to pop his head up over the bluff. It seemed forever but he gobbled and I saw red as he worked back and forth trying to get a look at the hen that had called to him. Finally he was 20 paces and gobbled and that was it. KA_BOOM down he went and the other two bolted. At 11:35 with 25 minutes to spare on the opening morning. To think I keep telling my self stay boy have patience they well come.
Respectable bird at about 23 pounds just about 10.5 " and 1" spurs. Not the biggest by far but I will not complain. After that long sit.

Great bird and story. They seem a little better when you have to work at it.

Righteous. Great beard and story. I hope to get out this week, or next. Sunday was miserable weather here.

Not the biggest by far??? Can I hunt with you and shoot all the 'little ones'??? :D

Nice bird, congrats

Well yesterday the 20th was a bust on the farm , I did not see or hear a bird till 11:30 and there was no way they were coming to me so I got on the tractor and put 2 sunflower fields in.
This morning the Toms were hammering. I had 4 or 5 Toms gobbling from first light up to & am and then I see a per-session of hens leaving the farm to hook up with the Toms.I could not get one to make the 300 yard trip over to me this morning. Still all in all better is a bad day in the field then a good day in the shop !

Wow, sounds like you got all kinds of birds stitched up! Thats a great bird and story, congrats!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back