THE ARTIC VORTEX (from California)

jmustard

Hello all,
Just wanted to hear opinions of the cold and how it will impact the elk/deer this year. As the title says, I am in Ca and don't have a grasp on where it is "Vortex cold". Is Wy, Co, Mt all under the "Vortex Grip"? Not making light of it, but from watching the news it's a foreign perspective to CA folks.

Last edited:
Seems to be pulling up short of any of the Rocky Mountain states.

vortex.JPG

Here in Western MT we've had a very easy winter. Fairly wet, but very warm. It seems like it's been over 40° more often than it's been under 20°.

It's hitting the upper midwest hard right now. The wildlife will be fine. It is just a couple of days of cold weather and animals know how to deal with it. We have over two feet of snow this month (second highest amount on record) and record cold last night. But the snow hasn't crusted over bad and the animals can still dig down to food.

It seems bad but remember we had a very mild December and animals went into winter fat andhealthy this year.

Seems to be pulling up short of any of the Rocky Mountain states.

View attachment 93682

Here in Western MT we've had a very easy winter. Fairly wet, but very warm. It seems like it's been over 40° more often than it's been under 20°.

While it's been fairly wet around Randy it's been extremely warm and dry further south. We're in a world of hurt in the headwaters...particularly the Centennial Valley. Looks like the mid 40s are predicted for this weekend.

-35 air temp last night at my house in western MN. But right away this morning, the local pheasants were out in the field doing their thing.

It's really going to mess up the hunting in Montana for years and years. Best to look to other states for hunting and fishing.

And spread the word, no point in people coming out here anymore. :rolleyes:

Been a pretty mild winter to this point. Back in the 40's this weekend. I'll be working on my tan while ice fishing.

I'm don't know much about weather but it seems like since the air was soooo cold and was pushing down from the north that it sort of "sat" over the midwest but didn't come up into the mountains. I live at about 6600ft and it was 40-50 degrees warmer here than it was in MN where my in-laws live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back