Caribou Gear

Taxidermy Options

ryansullivan

Well, I’m headed to Wyoming for the first time to hunt antelope for the first time this Friday. I’m a fairly new hunter so I don’t have much experience with taxidermists and I’m just trying to plan ahead in case I luck out and shoot one that I’d like to have mounted! I have a 16 hour drive home to Washington and was told that if I plan on mounting my goat I shouldn’t drag it all the way back and just get it dropped off in Wyoming. Is that about right? And if so, does anybody have recommendations for good taxidermists in Newcastle, Gillette, Sheridan areas? Thanks!

No CWD concern, so your call. WY locals prob have done more goats than WA taxidermists. You will also have to pay shipping, which can be a pretty penny. Antelope are notorious for slipping hair, so maybe you want to get to a local.

Gotcha. I was told that I need to get it taken care of quick because it’s a horned animal. Not sure how important that really is but does that play a factor?

Keep the cape dry and cold, and in a game bag and take it back with you. Find a local taxidermist. The hair wont slip unless you dont take care of it. Even if it does, they are cheap to replace.

There is nothing more frustrating than a flaky taxidermist 2 days drive away. Trust me I've lost animals to worthless taxidermist who live a long ways off. Also it's not worth the shipping... I'm sure there are plenty of locals who can mount an antelope. Go to their shops and look at their work. Dont focus in price or you'll likely be disappointed.

Good luck on your hunt!

Here is an idea.....take lots of pics and then do a euro. I am really pleased with mine. Simple clean and bleach of the skull and then a hanger from Cabelas....

Attachments

• Wyoming antelope.jpg
    Wyoming antelope.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 202
  • lope 2.jpg
    lope 2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 199
  • GEDC1244.jpg
    GEDC1244.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 199
I have brought them back in my luggage on a plane and then took them to my local taxidermist with no issues. Like it has been said keep them clean and cool you will be just fine.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back