MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Target scope question

treedagain

Anyone use a target scope on their hunting rifle?
I got a great deal on a used leupold VX-2 with the target turrets and am planning on having a custom turret installed. Most likely a dumb question.

Anyone use a target scope on their hunting rifle?
I got a great deal on a used leupold VX-2 with the target turrets and am planning on having a custom turret installed. Most likely a dumb question.

I think it’s pretty much the norm now for people to dial distance.

My only thought or concern is the size of the turret being bigger that it will be a hindrance or more apt to get knocked off alignment.

When you say target turrets are they the exposed M1s or the capped target turrets from Leupold?
The M1 turrets can get spun from being bumped or rubbing on your pack. If worried about that you can tape them with electrical tape or use some paint/nail polish to mark your turrets zero position. I’ve also seen some custom made zero stops for the M1s.
The capped turrets shouldn’t be a problem.

I use and like holdover type (Christmas tree) reticles. I wouldn't be opposed to using target style turrets to dial distance, though I might like a reticle that allowed me to hold for wind. Definitely test your scope for reliable tracking.

I have hunted with my target rifle. The only problem is the reticles are very fine and really hard to see in low light if they’re not illuminated.

Thanks for the responses. They are capped turrets so there is some protection. Now I just need to order the ballistic tapes for them. Leupold is in a holding pattern and don't know if they will retro fit older scopes

You don’t technically need a ballistic tape. The turret should be marked in MOA. Just test your drop and use a chart to dial.
The ballistic tape can only be used for a specific bullet/velocity/altitude whereas MOA dial can be used for any bullet combo.

I wouldn’t exactly call that a target scope. The lines between tactical, target and hunting scopes are certainly getting thinner. If the reticle is not too thin, then you only need to worry about the knobs. Whether you tape them or change them is up to you. I have always been opposed to hunting with exposed knobs. This year I hunted with an exposed elevation knob for the first time. Sure enough, I found it had spun once.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back