Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Talk some sense into me (semiauto)

We had a weatherby sa-08 and it was really fussy, pretty much cycled when it felt like it (the Randy Moss of shotguns).

The Randy Moss of shotguns. Well said ;)

I was recently perusing the used rack at the Scheels in Fargo and saw an impressive lineup of used Benelli SBE 1s as well as the model that doesn't have the 3.5" chamber (can't remember what it's called). They were all about $800 or less, which I would deem as a good price for it as I really think they're the "cat's meow." Most of them look like they'd been shot about twice as well. Most of the guns that I own came from the used rack and if you're patient you'll find some real gems that you never thought you'd be able to afford!

I personally own a SBE 1 and the thing is amazing. It cycles everything well; from the lightest loads to the heaviest 3.5" turkey loads. The one that I bought came with an array of 5 different chokes so I can literally kill anything that flies with it. Excellent turkey gun, and also excellent dove gun. Benellis fit me well as well. I find that Beretta shotguns don't allow me to get my cheek down far enough to line up the bead properly.

If you're looking at new I've heard great things about the Stoegers. They seem to be Benellis at less of the cost.

Tell me more about your take on maintenance if you get a chance. Anything specific about the a300, or just the simplicity of the inertia?

THANKS

I can't speak for belly-deep, but gas semis blow residue back through the gas system to cycle and that gunks stuff up and is more work to clean than simple inertia actions.

Last edited:
I did a lot of looking when I was getting into bird hunting. I bought a PA-08 Weatherby (pump). I have been slightly disappointed with it as it seems to jam every once and a while and the sling stud on the magazine cap pulled through.

That being said I think the Weatherby SA-08 is a different animal. My brother has one and I know 2 other guys that own them (one of them has 2). The use them for everything, have had no issues with them and really like them. Hard to find many bad reviews online about them either. So that would be my choice.

I picked up a Weatherby PA-08 youth 20 for my kids to use. It was between that and a Remington 870. With Remington's quality in the crapper I picked up the Weatherby. Very nice gun, haven't had any problems and it looks much nicer than the, more expensive, Remington I was looking at.

I also looked into the SA-08, semi auto, Weatherby. I found several reviews that complained of the gun jamming/not feeding. That was the reason I went with the pump.

Both guns are made in Turkey and stamped with the Weatherby name.

I was recently perusing the used rack at the Scheels in Fargo and saw an impressive lineup of used Benelli SBE 1s as well as the model that doesn't have the 3.5" chamber (can't remember what it's called). They were all about $800 or less, which I would deem as a good price for it as I really think they're the "cat's meow." Most of them look like they'd been shot about twice as well. Most of the guns that I own came from the used rack and if you're patient you'll find some real gems that you never thought you'd be able to afford!

I personally own a SBE 1 and the thing is amazing. It cycles everything well; from the lightest loads to the heaviest 3.5" turkey loads. The one that I bought came with an array of 5 different chokes so I can literally kill anything that flies with it. Excellent turkey gun, and also excellent dove gun. Benellis fit me well as well. I find that Beretta shotguns don't allow me to get my cheek down far enough to line up the bead properly.

If you're looking at new I've heard great things about the Stoegers. They seem to be Benellis at less of the cost.

Don't dismiss the used guns. I bought an SBEII used for about $400 below retail and it looked like it had maybe 5 shots through it. Also the Benellis have various shims with them that help line the shot up when you shoulder the gun.

Of those the Beretta hands down for the simple reason you can shim it to fit properly, that is the most important thing with a shotgun. I love my benelli sbe, absolutely awesome shotgun. Check around, very few shotguns are adjustable, I know the Berettas and benellis are, the stoegers might be, if the are that would be my recommendation in the m3500. I used to have the m2000 and it was not adjustable but a good gun with the inertia drive. My dad shoots it now and loves it.

OK, "Talk some sense into you". Here is a $0.02 worth. Keep wifey happy, save money & take wifey out on an unexpected $400 date...You be Da' Man ! Mossberg 500.

No, it's not a semi-auto, but if Marines carry them, "in every clime & place", then I'd seriously ask myself Why? They work, every time, in nasty a$$ conditions.

No shimmimg BS for a 2 3/4" shell, nor a 3", nor a 3 1/2" . Load, mix as you will, and go Bang !

I know for a fact that there are members here that carried one in combat duty. They're still here.

Beretta A300 all day. In that price range, I think Beretta has ruled the roost for a long time, starting with the 390, and even the 3901 and now with the A300 Outlander and Xtreme models. I currently shoot an A5 that I was able to get slightly used for a smokin deal, but if it were me looking for another boom stick, I'd grab that Beretta without a second thought.

Agree on the Beretta of those listed. I've got a SA-08 synthetic that I'll box up and send to your FFL tomorrow for $400. :)

Work for upland bird's to turkey and geese? I don't think that gun exist's. I never hunted geese a lot and never hunted turkey. But for both My idea would be a longer barrel that will swing smoothly with a tighter choke to hold the shot pattern together longer. Take that same shotgun and try it on upland and you could find yourself blowing up birds. It's normally a sport of closer shooting. Of course you could wait on shooting with a lot of upland game or simply go to a more open choke. But your still stuck with a longer barrel that tracks well but doesn't really point all that fast. Uplnd game generally is closer shooting in particular over pointing dogs. This is not to say that your turkey water foul gun will not get you by on upland game or that the upland gun won't kill turkey's and geese! All the interchangeable choke's can certainly help in either case but short barrel guns point a lot better and long barrel guns track better. You really need two shotguns.

Work for upland bird's to turkey and geese? I don't think that gun exist's. I never hunted geese a lot and never hunted turkey. But for both My idea would be a longer barrel that will swing smoothly with a tighter choke to hold the shot pattern together longer. Take that same shotgun and try it on upland and you could find yourself blowing up birds. It's normally a sport of closer shooting. Of course you could wait on shooting with a lot of upland game or simply go to a more open choke. But your still stuck with a longer barrel that tracks well but doesn't really point all that fast. Uplnd game generally is closer shooting in particular over pointing dogs. This is not to say that your turkey water foul gun will not get you by on upland game or that the upland gun won't kill turkey's and geese! All the interchangeable choke's can certainly help in either case but short barrel guns point a lot better and long barrel guns track better. You really need two shotguns.

Thanks Don I get exactly what you're saying. I was just planning on shooting a smaller load for the smaller birds until I can get myself a nice little 16 or 20 gauge. Appreciate the input.

I think the fit is the most critical thing for a shotgun. Mount each of the shotguns and see how they come up to your shoulder and your sight picture. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to adjust the gun when the bird flushes. If there is someone at the shop that can help make sure the gun fits you properly, get their help. If you have multiple shotguns that fit you well then I would get picky on brand.

Spend as much as you can afford/justify is what I say. If you are not going to use the crap out of it you will have a hard time wearing it out too. I wanted a super black eagle, but settled for the Stoeger copy and it serves me well as long as I don't shoot light loads.

I agree with Schmalts on the Stoeger. I got the 3500 5 years ago and have really liked this shotgun. It can shoot 2-3/4 to 3.5 shells and as mentioned as long as your load is 1 1/8 oz minimum this gun is great. If you get it in Black I think its around $600.

Definitely not going to find something that's perfect for both if you're a real connoisseur, but I sure as heck am not good enough to be able to tell the difference. I've shot some nice over/unders as well as an 870 and SBEI, and I think I could kill a turkey or pheasant almost as easily with both. I do know what you're saying though.

Why a semiauto at all? I think two shotguns are always better than one. Don Fischer was right about that!

I'm debating how much better 9 shotguns would be than 8. Or something like that. I don't really count them any more.

Why a semiauto at all? I think two shotguns are always better than one. Don Fischer was right about that!

I'm debating how much better 9 shotguns would be than 8. Or something like that. I don't really count them any more.

Love this. I could use 10 or so to scratch the itch.

My wife says I need a shotgun pheasants flying right to left on Sundays and a different one for them flying left to right on Saturdays and all the other combinations. None are semiautos though.

Back