Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Synthetic pant odor control

AtenJones

I'm heading on a week-long hunt this Fall, and I'm trying to get my gear sorted out. I'm a midwest guy, so I'm new to this whole backcountry thing. I'm looking at a couple different synthetic pants, because I'd like to be able to use them for other stuff besides just hunting, and most of the reviews of Merino pants seem to question their durability. But, I was curious about odor control on synthetics during a multi-day hunt? Should I take an extra pair, or will one be ok? Right now I'm trying to decide between the First Lite Corrugate Guide pant or the Prana Zion.

Thanks!

Are you coming west? What are you hunting and how? Wearing my Sitka, I'd bring 2 pairs and not worry about it. I would be far more concerned with wind direction. If that wind turns on you, it won't matter what scent control you have on.

This ^

If you are backpacking in and concerned on weight then the one pair you wear in is enough. That's what I do anyway. I only bring Long underwear and a fleece layer to put under my outer Core4 pants. As the day warms I stop and take off the under layers and keep them dry for night time sleeping. All 3 layers could almost walk home on their own after a week but I don't want extra weight of too many extra clothes.

Don't worry about scent control. Im a Midwest whitetail guy as well and understand your concerns but after the first couple miles none of it will matter. You WILL stink. Wind and thermals are the only concerns. Just hunt as you would at home if you didn't have scentlock clothing, dead down wind spray, or an Ozonics machine :)

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I’ve submitted for New Mexico Archery Elk. When I don’t draw that, I’ll head to Colorado for OTC Elk. Although... part of me is getting kind of intrigued about the possibility of archery Mule Deer in one of the 100% draw units in Colorado - so there’s a small chance I may apply for that tomorrow instead. (I’m also taking advice on if I should chase elk or deer)

Anyway - I’m less concerned with spooking the animals (I’m not even super religious about my scent with white tails - I’d rather play the wind than buy a bunch of gizmos to “eliminate” all my scent). I’m more curious about not spooking myself with 7 days worth of walkin around! The whole idea of one pair of pants for that long still seems foreign to me, so I was just curious what others do.

Also, I’m planning on a merino base later underneath my pants for morning/evening. Will that be enough warmth? Looking at the first week of season, so the end of August.

Thanks!

Just find a wallow to roll around in!

My dad and I hunted in cabelas microtex pants last year. He made it the whole hunt in his(6 days) I changed mine at 4 days but they couldve gone the whole trip. I pack along preparation h wipes (witch hazel) to help keep the funk down.

I usually dont wear a base layer under pants until its down in the 20s. I will sometimes put something over the top of my pants while glassing to keep the chill off.

Just bring 2 pair of merino boxers.

Can't go wrong with the Stretch Zion. These are great pants. (But you only need to bring one.)

I wear the same pants for a week, with no issues. Only thing I bring (one) extra of is boxers and socks.

The wind can be your friend or foe. Early archery hunts here in Colorado I only wear merino wool garments. First Lite primarily. 2nd season rifle hunts and later do I wear synthetic garments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back