Swing and a Miss

406hunter

I'm calling it a little early because I'm 99% sure I won't be able to make it back out. I drew a special permit for elk for the first time here in Montana- 700-20. It was really exciting to have the tag, scout, and dream of putting a big bull down. Unfortunately my archery season came and went way too fast and I only got out once with no good encounters. I went deep opening weekend of rifle season and had guys drive side by sides onto the cmr refuge close to where my brother in law and I were, there was no road in the area. Well these guys walked up and shot a pistol into a timber patch, I assume to see if something would run out. They stood around drinking beer and talking loudly on the skyline. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. We pressed on deeper into the broken country and found some cows but no bulls. I went back a week and a half later for 5 days and had a great time with my dad cousin and brother in law. We saw elk and I missed a chip shot at a 6 point, I thought I was over buck fever but bull fever got me good. I had 3 bulls 250-300yds away and my heart almost beat out of my chest. After jerking the trigger like my 12 year old self did 20 years ago. Well the bulls bunched up and I couldn't tell which one I had shot at and just like that they were gone. That one is hard to get over, still find myself thinking about it in the mornings as I wake up. Last weekend I loaded up the backpack and went deep once more. Found cows and calfs but no bulls. Had a great time chasing elk and am thankful to have had made great memories in the hills. Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

Then still shake me. If we lose that might as well stop hunting! Thanks for sharing!

Don't beat yourself up too bad. I'm sure special permits are fun (I've never drawn), but we live in Montana. The quality of elk hunting on general tags here is something to be envied by most hunters across the U.S. We get it every year. Sorry that it didn't work out, but you'll get to chase elk again next year. And there are some whoppers in the general units!

Back