Survival gear?

"Quick Clot" and some super glue for stitching things shut.
After hearing about Crittergitter's friend getting mauled by a griz and then using the Quick Clot to save his life, I figured I better put that on my list of must haves

"Quick Clot" and some super glue for stitching things shut.
After hearing about Crittergitter's friend getting mauled by a griz and then using the Quick Clot to save his life, I figured I better put that on my list of must haves

Hey Cushman or one of you other EMT types, is Quick Clot the brand that a guy wants?

One of these type products is the one thing I've really thought about adding to my pack. Of all the things a hunter can prepare for,a serious open wound has to be really high on the list.

Recommendations welcome...................Brand,size,ETC.

I carry the quick clot as well. I've used the super glue on a wound I had. It was hard to keep the skin from my fingers that were closing the wound being glued to the wound area. I also didn't have a whole lot of blood comming from the wound and I'm not sure if you had a real gusher how well the glue would work. For bad tramma I hear the quick clot can really help stop the blood.
Here is a video showing how the quit clot works on a femoral artery that they cut on a pig.
http://youtu.be/e9xvIbKBJn4
Other gear: A lighter and fire starters, Benadryl, my 4 sevens flashlight, some cord, and water purification
I also want to add an Israeli bandage to my gear.

Last edited:
Hey Cushman or one of you other EMT types, is Quick Clot the brand that a guy wants?

One of these type products is the one thing I've really thought about adding to my pack. Of all the things a hunter can prepare for,a serious open wound has to be really high on the list.

Recommendations welcome...................Brand,size,ETC.

I'm not sure what's available on the civilian market :(

We actually don't use it on the department I was on. A tourniquette is quicker and more efficient and more easy for a doctor to deal with than quick clot. I threw my quick clot away in the Army. Tampons, duct tape, ace wraps, and a tourniquette as a last resort was easier for me to deal with if I had more than 1 man down.

Does anyone like to pack in cold beer for the pack out to 'survive' the hike!
>go in heavy - come out heavier.

For all occasions, with my boots comes a flask of whiskey.

I know some pretty hardcore successful hunters who leave camp with nothing but a knife, rope, and a water bottle. It seems crazy to me. I pack a lot more.

My top three would probably be the same though. I don't concern myself too much with compass and map in terms of survival. In most cases, if you have reviewed maps of the country you are hunting prior to the hunt, North, South, East and West are all I usually need for the map in my head. Though, in some country the map in your head may be wildly insufficient.

I think the argument that you don't need water purification as a survival item is convincing. Giardia takes days to effect its victim if it effects the victim at all, and hopefully by then you'll have resolved your survival situation. Then again tablets weigh very little and take up very little space, and Giardia can be horrible.

I think beyond a knife, rope, and a water bottle, my next item would be a heavy duty garbage bag. Whether it be used for poncho, shelter, a sleeping bag, or even a water trough condensation still, there are a lot of potential uses in a garbage bag.

Worst case scenario it would protect your carcass from the birds for a few days.

Fire Steel
Firestarter Wetfire
"waterproof" matches
Bic lighter
paracord 100 ft?
Super glue/fletching glue
Duct tape
Maxipad in plastic wrap.
contractor trash bag
Reflective mylar blanket ( signalling/warmth)

http://www.celoxmedical.com/usa/products/celox-gauze/

This would be another option for those of us w/o significant medical training... Celox treated Gauze. Sold in several sizes and configurations, and readily available to the civ. market. (sold on Amazon).

John,

Any thoughts on Celox?

I've got friends that are still in the Army, as well as guys I've met from other countries, and this stuff is getting a good rep. A tampon or maxi pad is still easier to get a hold of and simpler to use and carry, though.

In addition to the plastic tarp or survival blanket, I carry a sleeping bag liner that is rated to increase warmth by 25 degrees. It's probably 1/2 pound. I bought mine at REI - called a Thermolite liner.

I also carry two headlamps. I had a bulb go out on a backpacking trip one time, and made it out just after dark. I was glad I wasn't far from the trail head and have carried two lamps ever since.

atomic_fireballs__87636_zoom.jpg

I try to never leave home without them on a hunting trip.

I think I'll add the atomic fire balls and a tampon to my kit.
As for the quik clot I carry, it is a quik clot gauze pad. I figured I can stuff it into a wound...kind of reminds me of the stuff Mkoter is talking about.
I have an er friend...retired from a city hospital where he saw alot of gunshot wounds. His best advice was pressure can stop just about any bleeding...the right pressure....pressure, pressure, pressure.

In regards to lights: I carry two in my day pack. Both are LED, light and powerfull. Get LED lights and you won't ever be changing a bulb again, they are also much more energy efficient.

I have a nylon poncho that packs to the size of a fist and is big enough to sleep under, I think it is an improvement over a garbage bag. Also carry one of those disposable space bags.

Another good and small flammable tool is a cotton disc face wipe dipped in wax. One half will burn for 15 mins. I have a speedy sharpener that I really like for my knife. Two lights are essential too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back