Yeti GOBOX Collection

Survival gear?

Ben Long

SFC B raised a question elsewhere that deserves its own thread. What kind of survival gear do you keep in your day pack? Good question and I bet there's lots of great ideas in this group. Here's my list, off the top of my head: headlamp; Mora knife and sharpener; p-chord; plastic tarp; matches and a lighter or spark rod; candle; birch bark and flammable gel; hatchet; small aluminum pot with lid; SPOT; spare batteries. Of course, I use most of the stuff in non-emergencies, too, and the list doesn't include First Aid or orientation gear. I've only had to sit out a couple unplanned nights and I'm not dead yet.
Anyone else?

An extra light source, because it is a bitch to change batteries in the dark.... And if you drop one it gets even more interesting...

Being a medic most of my adult life between the military and a civilian EMT, I always have a good first aid pack on me, especially when I hunt with friends. Spend the couple of dollars and get a SAM splint and ace wraps. If you twist an ankle or break a leg or arm, they are awesome and lightweight and roll up into a small piece of gear.

JohnCushman, a good First Aid kit is worth a thread of its own, too. I once had to help splint a busted leg with duct tape and a Crazy Creek chair. (Not my leg, thankfully). Your gear would have been better, methinks.

I bought a 3.8 ounce SOL emergency bivy to throw in mine for when I make it back out there. I figured that might come in handy.

Another thing that isn't thought of, and many guys would freak out about, but I carried in my aid bag through many combat operations...tampons..in case of a gun shot wound or very deep gash, insert one and they act like a compression bandage from the inside out and they are sterile. Wrap it with an ace wrap and you have a beautiful compression bandage.

Last edited:
I keep a couple of 55 gallon sized trash bags in my pack for use as emergency rain gear or tarp covering. Monofilament and/or dental floss for lashing or tie-downs (or crazy me, flossing!) Water purification is either iodine tablets, steri-pen or pumping filter.

I carry most of the same things as Ben (including my Mora :) ) Here a few different choices. I carry lighter, wproof matches in a safe with strike and a hot spark. I also carry a second light source, mag-mini. For shelter I have a huge, oversized, super sized orange trashbag. Also I carry a decent compass and have a panic azmith. Also, antihistemines (sp) and Ranger candy. In my pack is also a Platypus filter and a cup or wide mouth bottle.Oh yeah, and to go along with John's last post, an Isreali coagulating bandage for BAD wounds.

Apparently duck tape goes without saying, like mentioning you should bring ammo. Electrical tape for me too, wrapped around my knife sheath. It covers blisters very well (was using it this morning for a 5 mile hike).

One easy thing that has saved my bacon is chewable pepto bismal tablets. If you overexert yourself and start to hit that "I'm gunna puke" wall where you can barely walk out in good conditions, chewing on a couple of those makes a big difference if you get it early enough. I carry a little pill box with some of those, some advils, and some tums. They get a lot of use. It also has tweezers and a little needle after my wife got a big splinter way back in the wilderness. I have superglue too for closing wounds but have never tried it.

FWIW, a SAR guy told me if they get an alert from a SPOT or PLB they will get after it. If TWO devices are activated they will get RIGHT ON IT because that is obviously an emergency and not a some kid wanting to know "what that button was for."

Last edited:
I carry most of what has been mentioned. I also throw in a few homemade firestarters......coins sleeves stuffed with dryer lint, then covered in wax.

first aid kit with some advil, etc. Fire starting materials, lighter and matches. Always have extra batteries and flashlight or headlamp as wells a warm hat and extra socks plus an extra undershirt or vest. Depending on the season and area i may have a space blanket too.

It can be easy to get overloaded with gear so I try to keep it light and use the basics for day trips. I've carried an ace bandage from time to time but it gets left in the truck most of the time.

I usually have extra water and first aid kit in the truck and a blanket or sleeping bag in case I break down in a storm somewhere and won't freeze to death if I can't run the heater.

My personal kit is similar to what has been listed.

As some food for thought, here is what is standard for our survival vests we wear while doing work-related flying (often low level flying) in remote Alaska. As pilots always remind us, if you're not wearing it when the plane goes down you won't have it. Two forms of fire starter, signal mirror, bug dope / head net, knife, strobe light, flares, space blanket, and some form of vacuum sealed food. Our planes are equipped with an ELT and we do flight following with dispatch, so that serves as our primary emergency signal. The pilots always have a satellite phone in their flight suit as well.

I always carry a few chemlights, they are light and don't use batteries. If you combine them with 3-4ft of 550 cord you can make something called a buzzsaw which is great for signaling A/C at night.

A couple other things:
-Iodine tabs
-6x6 piece of tyvek house wrap (shelter, poncho, bivy)

two little things that havent been mentioned are zip ties and immodium pills for the squirts. Diarrhea at home sucks. Back in the brush, it can turn into a major...mess... very quickly!

For food, a good idea is to stay away from a food source you like. this will prevent you from snacking on it when not in a survival situation.

Does anyone like to pack in cold beer for the pack out to 'survive' the hike!
>go in heavy - come out heavier.

Like the zip tie suggestion

Also, 50 ft of parachute chord can come in handy for a lot of things

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back