Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Suggestions for a good dehydrator?

MaxPower

I had a real old dehydrator that recently died on me. I need something good to make wild game jerky, as well as dehydrate fruit for hiking/backpacking.

Curious what you all recommend.

Thanks!

I have the Cabelas one. Have had it for about 5-6 years. I take all my old meat and dehydrate for Jerkey every year. Does a great job and really adjustable with multiple racks and easy temp setting depending on what you are trying to do. I have done Turkey, elk, deer, antelope and god forbid even duck and goose to see if there is some way to make them edible (Still wont work even with the Cabelas black pepper, still tastes like a crappy goose and duck).

Depends on your budget. I started with a basic round stackable dehydrator from Wally World. When I started drying multiple pounds of veggies we bought one from Cabela's. Did 10 pounds of mushrooms last year along with about 15 pounds of cherry tomatoes on another run. The cherry tomatoes are AWESOME! Did 10 pounds of onions from the garden this weekend and when don I ran them through a food processor and made onion powder.

I run an electronic Bass Pro 6 tray. It has digital temp and timers. I got it on sale for under $50 and it has been fine. Done everything I have asked. Heat and fan on the bottom. I see don't don't have one like it anymore....

I think you'd be fine with the Cabelas or Nesco but I grabbed the Excalibur 9 Tray when it was on sale for $170 and really like it. It can dehydrate a lot at once and has a thermostat and timer.

I grabbed the giant Weston Dehydrator. The 24 tray one is probably a bit huge for most, but I also dry large parts of my garden harvest (dried heirloom tomato leather is a great hiking snack by the way). I have never been said that I bought "too much drying space". Filling that whole thing top to bottom several times is why I still have fruit to eat during this lock-down.

I also won a bit of a bet when I bought it, the guy at the store said there was no way I was gonna fit that in my Mini Cooper, it did, but to be honest I was as surprised as he was.

I've been using an Excalibur brand for several years. It has worked well for everything from fruits and vegetables to complete meals for backpacking. While I don't have experience with another brand or model, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Excalibur should the need arise.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back