Yeti GOBOX Collection

Study: Hunters Die After Consuming CWD-Infected Venison

I won't eat venison that comes from an animal that hasn't been tested. I just wish it was easier to get the tests done in a timely manner. Here in Illinois they do testing, but the whole testing regime is designed to be a source of data for the biologists and the hunter's interest in the safety of the meat takes a very distant second place. Perhaps with more public pressure for these tests they will invest in a better testing and reporting system.

Funny you mention that, a friend of mine was serving deer chops from a CWD positive county in Wisconsin, definitely made me a bit nervous until he mentioned that they were all tested clean.

Also one of the reasons I love antelope hunting, just don’t have to worry about it.

This site and hunting social media obviously has a massive outreach within the hunting community.

What kind of light do we think Randy and the like could shine on this issue with a little blurb every episode about, “‘ope better get this one tested as CWD has been found in this area!”

National Deer Assoc and biologists like Heffelfinger are casting skeptical shade on this report.

BL
Just read the same in this OL article after I clicked the earlier F&S article that now routes to a website "404 not found"

Here in Pa we have CWD in some areas. One of my old hunting partners lived in such an area, and ate LOTS of deer he shot there

He passed this year, but the cause was a tractor that overturned on him......not an infected deer on his dinner plate. IMO this is just another attempt to put a stop to deer hunting and nothing more.

Here in Pa we have CWD in some areas. One of my old hunting partners lived in such an area, and ate LOTS of deer he shot there

He passed this year, but the cause was a tractor that overturned on him......not an infected deer on his dinner plate. IMO this is just another attempt to put a stop to deer hunting and nothing more.
That is a very bizarre attitude to have.

Sorry about your friend, however. Tractors certainly can be dangerous.

I believe a lot of people want to be naysayers because of what that might mean in the future. These two cases may be nothing. Or they may be the start. It would be wise to keep an eye on it. No need to go nuclear at this point as this is most likely a coincidence, but it would be foolish to dismiss this and not keep tabs on it at least a little bit. What if another person in that camp got CJD? Would then people pay attention? A fourth? What would an outbreak of a disease that jumps species look like at the beginning? I imagine it would start like this.

I wonder if anyone has done a study on people who contracted CJD and compared those who eat wild game and those who did not?

Nothing sandwich. Someone that is all worried about this, please do some research and report back: How many of the reported CJD deaths in the US have been venison eaters and compare that to the % of general population that eats venison.

This “study”, which isnt even a case review, simply says transmission is plausible and further study is needed. Considering they did no testing, have no findings, are missing key information, and don’t claim causation it is nothing more than clickbait disguised as science. Even stating plausibility is reaching based on the body of research when they haven’t even definitively tackled the possibility question. Unfortunately, like everything else, sensational opinions causes increased exposure which can lead to more funding and it directly undermines actual science.

More research and focus is obviously needed, and taking precautions makes sense, but stuff like that isn’t worth the time spent reading it.

Anyway, I struck out in the first round of draws, fingers crossed for MSG draw. Good luck to everyone else!

That is not a study. It is wanton supposition.

All three of those guys no doubt ate strawberries, ice cream and french fries in their lifetimes.
Can we deduce that CJD was cause from eating strawberries, ice cream or french fries?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back