Caribou Gear Tarp

stolen gun

mikieb

On my first hunting trip to Montana. I was camped just north of the Wyoming state line just off the Powder River with an old Dodge with a truck camper. The other folks camped around me all had Montana plates. I thought I and my stuff were all safe as money in a bank... No other time in all the time I have been out west hunting have I ever had a problem.

Someone got in my unlocked camper while I was out looking for deer and got my Colt 1911 .45 auto. I had it tucked under my matress in my camper.

So, My question is.... Do I need to report this to law enforcement ? I'm not going to file any kind of claim with my insurance co...

Is their any way to ever get it back ?

Yes file a report and that will ensure a NCIC entry and if it is checked anywhere it will show it stolen. You would be surprised where they show up over time.

Report it asap. It's not only your only chance to get it back but also gives you the ability to not have to take responsibility for what the thief or other jerk does with it. Also the entry into your camper to commit a crime is considered Burglary a felony. "Protect your self and report it"
Dan

Ok, so who do I call ? I'm from Wisconsin and the crime happened in Montana...

The hunting was super... As soon as you got away from the road I saw a lot of game... not just deer. I want to go back just to go hiking. The country was beautiful.

The down side were road hunters.... disrespect for federal land... Road hunting on federal land after shooting hours... and, a rattle snake that came in a green tint... pissed my pants !

Had a home burglary many years ago. Lost shotguns, pistols and my favorite hunting rifle. Never recovered. Made a lot of dollars on insurance, but never made up for the lost of my Ruger .77 in 243 with a Redfield scope. Was a tackdriver.

Left on the stolen list for 20 years. Local police called me yearly if I wanted to leave on the stolen list. Gave up about 5 years past.

If your pistol is used in a robbery, you have a chance to get it back. Otherwise, I am sorry.

That really sucks. We always try to set up camp where there are no other people but that also means there no one around that will see if somebody is messing around with our stuff. Every morning when we leave camp I chain up my generator to my trailer frame and make sure everything is locked. It's sad that we can't trust people even out in the boonies.

I've been there. Sucks big time and makes you feel like you got kicked in the balls. You should report it, if for nothing else just in case it is ever used in a crime and you don't want to be a suspect. You probably won't ever see your gun again.

Report it ASAP. I know people who have recovered their stolen articles (including my dad). It also helps law enforcement solve the crime as the thieve probably hit other people.

Like said above contact the county sheriff's office for that county in Montana and have all your gun info handy model serial number ect handy on the call.

I would highly recommend reporting the burglary. The "theft" of your gun from your vehicle, even if was left unlocked, is a burglary. Forced entry is not a requirement, unauthorized entry is. You don't want the authorities showing up at your door one day, asking where your 1911 is because it was used in a crime, and you don't have a case number to show it was reported as stolen.
If you can't get that area's Sheriffs Dept to take the report, call the State Police for that area.

I would recommend contacting the Sheriffs Office in the County where the theft took place. Also you might contact your local Law Enforcement agency and make a report to them and ask they forward it to the correct Sheriffs Office. Do you know which County you were in? Montana does not have a State Police Like other states but have a State Highway Patrol. They will direct you to the correct Sheriffs Office. Do you have the serial #?
Dan

Definitely report it. If it wasn't the other hunters around there, it was probably some locals. There is no shortage of meth fueled crime around here.
If thats the case, theres a good chance it will turn up.

When my gun was stolen (along with a pile of other stuff) it was recovered in about a month when police served a warrant on a crack hotel in Billings suspected of dealing meth and selling sex. Found a whole hotel room of stolen goods. The people who provided details to the police of what was stolen got their stuff back quickly.
Also it can help nail the people, for example my gun got several additional felonies added on... possesion of a firearm while distributing narcotics, felon in possession of a firearm, possession of a stolen firearm, etc...

Back