Still a few birds out there

Walt lister

Even though I warned him that it is a pretty lean year, my friend Dick like the desert so much that he drove out from Illinois with his dogs to have another go at some gambels.

Dick with Emma and her pup Lucky
dick001.jpg

Moving in on a few points
dick009.jpg

dick005.jpg

dick004.jpg

Tough country for old men
dick017.jpg

Cactus growing out of a rock
dick012.jpg

A few flowers just starting to appear
dick018.jpg

Emma, 8 years old
dick011.jpg

Dick and Lucky and the mornings birds
dick020-1.jpg

I believe that if I was spending the winter in Illinois, a January trip to walk around the Arizona desert would sound pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the photos Walt. Where do the birds get water in that rocky spiney spikey land?

Thanks for the photos Walt. Where do the birds get water in that rocky spiney spikey land?

Desert quail can survive off of bugs and green plants. There are scattered cattle watering holes that ranchers have installed but the birds do just fine in areas that don't have them. They survived in the desert long before waterholes were added. Prolonged drought will really hurt the population but a few hardy birds will survive to reproduce.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Sure looks like a lot more fun than I had last weekend...

Walt- Have you guys ever had trouble with dogs getting spines in their eyes?

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Sure looks like a lot more fun than I had last weekend...

Walt- Have you guys ever had trouble with dogs getting spines in their eyes?

Never had that problem but they do get them in the face occasionally or in the mouth when trying to chew them out of their skin.

Thanks! I've hunted quail in country like that once, but we didn't have a dog with us. Didn't know if they'd be a problem or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back