Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Statistics Question for 600 Ticket Raffle Draws?

TheGrayRider

Probably 35 years since I took undergraduate statistics course. Question(s) for younger & brighter minds:

How do you calculate the true odds if you buy several raffle tickets of a limited 600 ticket big game raffle?

If I buy the first ticket, I think the odds are 1/600. Then the second ticket, the odds are 1/599. Do you add or multiply or divide the first and second fractions to determine your true odds thereafter?

I am getting old. Thanks in advance, TheGrayRider.

What raffle did you purchase a ticket for? If you bought one ticket with only 100 sold simple math would say that’s 1 percent so if you bought 1 out of 600 tags then that would be .60 of a percent

The 1:600 are a lot better than the AZ Desert sheep tag I drew. That was 1:122 that nobody took my tag in the bonus round then 1:34,000, and multiply that with the “up to 10%” non resident penalty…or the Utah NR mountain goat tag I drew which was 1:2412. Same year I drew goat I drew Alaska fall Musk Ox…and the one day I was home between the Ox and goat hunt, Oak called to tell me I won my choice of Swarovski in the RMBS raffle which turned into a 95mm BTX. I believe I bought 3 tickets that year.

If you buy into a raffle thinking you have great odds to win you are going to be very disappointed. Much easier on the psyche knowing you are helping the cause and have done a good deed. Every so often you will be blessed 👍

And to try to pay back those wins, I am now a life member of the RMBS, the ADBSS, and the Alaska Bowhunters Association.

Start a hunt fund. Every time you buy a raffle ticket or membership (annual or life) deposit the same amount into the hunt kitty. Throw $100 a month in it too. We all can shave off $25/week somewhere. It all adds up.

Probably 35 years since I took undergraduate statistics course. Question(s) for younger & brighter minds:

How do you calculate the true odds if you buy several raffle tickets of a limited 600 ticket big game raffle?

If I buy the first ticket, I think the odds are 1/600. Then the second ticket, the odds are 1/599. Do you add or multiply or divide the first and second fractions to determine your true odds thereafter?

I am getting old. Thanks in advance, TheGrayRider.

What raffle did you purchase a ticket for? If you bought one ticket with only 100 sold simple math would say that’s 1 percent so if you bought 1 out of 600 tags then that would be .60 of a percent
I believe 1 chance in 600 would be 1/6 of 1%, which is not quite the same as 0.6%

The 1:600 are a lot better than the AZ Desert sheep tag I drew. That was 1:122 that nobody took my tag in the bonus round then 1:34,000, and multiply that with the “up to 10%” non resident penalty…or the Utah NR mountain goat tag I drew which was 1:2412. Same year I drew goat I drew Alaska fall Musk Ox…and the one day I was home between the Ox and goat hunt, Oak called to tell me I won my choice of Swarovski in the RMBS raffle which turned into a 95mm BTX. I believe I bought 3 tickets that year.

If you buy into a raffle thinking you have great odds to win you are going to be very disappointed. Much easier on the psyche knowing you are helping the cause and have done a good deed. Every so often you will be blessed 👍

And to try to pay back those wins, I am now a life member of the RMBS, the ADBSS, and the Alaska Bowhunters Association.

Start a hunt fund. Every time you buy a raffle ticket or membership (annual or life) deposit the same amount into the hunt kitty. Throw $100 a month in it too. We all can shave off $25/week somewhere. It all adds up.
Dang you have some luck! Congratulations on all your success

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back