Spring Woodcock

edbentle

We got our bird dog out to some public land the other day in western New York to chase some spring woodcock. We found ten! It's definitely the most I've ever seen in one day. This is our first bird dog Bear. He's a one year old pudelpointer. I snapped a lucky picture of one woodcock. It's the only thing in the photo that isn't blurry.

Attachments

• DSC_0719.JPG
    DSC_0719.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • DSC_073835.jpg
    DSC_073835.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
I flushed one in my river bottom last week while out scouting for turkeys. This was the first woodcock I have seen in several years on my property.

Are you allowed to hunt them or just ran into them with the dog?
We are allowed to run the dog until April 15 for training only, although we're probably done for the year. We don't want to affect any nests that might be on the ground. I wonder if this year was a good year for woodcock? It's the most by far I've seen. The last time I was out with the dog a woodcock flushed and flew right over my head. I could've killed it with a tennis racket. Then it landed twenty yards from my dad and ran over to the edge of the cover and sort of walked away until it flushed again. It's amazing how they just disappear when they stop moving. It is the first woodcock I've seen walk and they actually do the "bob" while they walk. They are super interesting birds.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back