Spread question

mdunc8

When you guys are describing a deer to someone and you say that it's 25" wide are you referring to the inside spread of the main beams or what you think is the greatest outside spread? Just curious.

I have a feeling my guesses are an emotional exaggeration based on a quick 'alert ear to outside' spread perspective. I have been fooled.

I would say outside spread when it comes to mule deer but inside on whitetails

Here's my checklist for quick field appraisal. In order; tine length, mass, main beam length, width.

I primarily hunt Mulies. When I am looking through a spotter or no glass, I usually try to determine inside spread. After the miss, I tend to exaggerate outside spread.:D

I always refer to outside, no matter the species. I usually don't refer to spread at all, since I consider mass and tine length more important in my book. (Eventhough I'm sure there are certain deer that would change my mind on that)

I like golfer's approach. I don't think I'd be able to switch over to outside spread on whitetails just like I can't call an 8 point a 4x4, but I don't have a problem doing it for muleys.

If I say it had a 24" spread I'm talking inside spread of the main beam.

Here's my New Mexico mule deer from this year. He had a 14 5/8" inside spread on the main beam.
nm_muley2.jpg

His outside spread at the widest point was 25". Quite a difference.

The inside spread on his back beams was also quite a bit better than the inside spread on his main beams just to throw in another caveat.

Before I knew any better I would have measured this guys inside spread from back fork to back fork. That would have moved his inside spread up to closer to 20".

He had 75" of bone on his left side, but with his right side missing a G1 and G4 and his tiny spread credit he only scored 147".

Last edited:
Personally, I go with what I guess the outside spread to be then I add 4" for effect. Only if there are no other witnesses, of course. :hump:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back