Caribou Gear

Spiiiiiiiike!!

BiggWimm

Well, I went hunting and shot a spike elk. Not that I am complaining but it was over to fast. Got to my spot late in the day and after getting my camp set, decided to do a little scouting. I am familiar with the area so it was more just to check where most of the sign was. After about an hour I was about 1.5 miles in and the sun was dropping. I had seen decent sign so I was satisfied. Before I turned to go back I decided to let out a couple of cow calls. After a few calls I got a half assed response bugle. I replied with a couple more cow calls and could hear him walking through the trees. Long story short, he ended up giving me a 52 yard shot. He went about 15 yards, bedded, and never got up. Anyway, got him quartered and hung in the trees. Took the first load out in the dark and went back and got the rest of him out in the morning. Only took two trips, which I was glad about since I was on my own. Well, not completely alone. My wife packed the baby in when I went back in the morning, so they were with me. It was nice having them, my little girls first kill site at 17 months old. More pics are on the fancy camera and I haven't downloaded them yet. I will update with those pics when I get done helping my buddy get his LE elk.

EDIT: I should mention that I put two more arrows in him at 30 yards since he didn't go far. He ended up rolling over them and breaking the arrows as you can see in the quiver. Not a fan of letting an animal suffer and since he was bedded with his head up, I felt it prudent to make it a quicker kill. I really don't think they were necessary though.

Oh yeah, you know the fishing is good when the wife can pull a double, one on the hopper and one on the dropper!

Neat little cutthroat I caught.

Last edited:
Super! I don't hate a quick hunt now and again. That is some premium eats right there, congrats!

Spike

Great hunt! You don't get many meals from a tag when you eat that tag afer holding out for a big one that may never give you a shot.:D

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back