Spain

okie archer

I have been interested in Ibex in Spain. There are different sub species so not real educated on that or Spain in general. Sounds like a good time. Have thought about taking my wife someday and visit Spain while hunting there.
Anyone have any experience in Spain? Is it safe?

Never hunted there. Did a summer there back in college. Southern Spain though. It looks a lot like West Texas. Remember the Spaghetti westerns? In the cities at the time our biggest concern was pick pocketing. Kid comes up from the front trying to bum a Euro, meanwhile his buddies snatch your wallet or whatever you pull out of your pocket. Nothing crazy, just a nuisance. One thing I always think is notable about Spain is that not all of Spain speaks Spanish! If you're a western hemisphere Spanish speaker they will know immediately. The greater part of Spain that does speak Spanish speaks what is referred to as Castillian Spanish. Think of it as Spanish with a lisp. You might be able to hear the difference between Cheech Marin and Antonio Banderas. Barcelona speaks Catalon (not Spanish). I forget what derivative a couple other autonomies (states) speak. I'm sure one is Portuguese, good luck cracking that nut, just go ahead and get a pocket translator.
But that was a long time ago. Sorry I can't be more help. Safe travels!

Also if you have a chance to get a haircut there I highly recommend it. Phenomenal. Makes barber shops here look really bad. Not that the Ibex will care.

I have been interested in Ibex in Spain. There are different sub species so not real educated on that or Spain in general. Sounds like a good time. Have thought about taking my wife someday and visit Spain while hunting there.
Anyone have any experience in Spain? Is it safe?
Never hunted there, but Spain is amazing. I found Madrid to be much cleaner, safer, and to have better public transit than any US city. Madrid has some amazing art museums, the Reina Sofia and Prado are phenomenal.

Bull fights are pretty cool, if you can go when they are in season.

Hunted Spain Oct. ‘22 for Beceite and Gredoes Ibex. Also took a good Mouflon sheep. Southern Spain is beautiful and the food excellent. see my earlier post. Loved the experience. MTG
I believe the owner of the outfitter you went with has passed away:cry: have you heard anything?

Devon deer, his widow is trying to get all of his arrangements straightened out. He died in Turkey, on another hunting trip, and getting his remains back to Spain has been an ordeal. This on top of having a one year old child and another toddler. His accounts were frozen by the Spanish government and more problems. She arranged for us to hunt with Daniel and Marti Higuera. Very good accommodation, food and needed translator. Still waiting for information regarding shipment of horns, heads and capes. This can take some time as these were to be a dip and pack by their taxidermist in Spain. Then shipped to Chicago and on to Wildlife Gallery in Michigan. BTW, I would return to hunt the Ronda and SW Ibex to complete the spanish Ibex slam. Spain is such a good hunt, tour, excellent food and the history remarkable. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4089.png
    IMG_4089.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
Thread bump.
Anyone do any stag hunting in Spain? I've really wanted to hunt stag somewhere. Considering Spain.

Okie, any updates?

For anyone who has not hunted Spain or NZ I recommend giving it some serious thought. Have hunted both countries, relish the memories. I have taken Red Stag in both countries. The smaller was in Spain. Make no mistake both can be somewhat pricey within reason. BUT, I have it on good information that “There are NO ATM machines in hell”. Worth the price, worth the effort, memories in the making. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpeg
    IMG_1402.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 32e51a34-b618-425f-add7-b82159350dcc.jpeg
    32e51a34-b618-425f-add7-b82159350dcc.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 10
Back