Southern Wyoming Units

sheff

Several units in southern Wyoming have private/BLM land in a checkerboard pattern. Does anyone know if you can hunt those areas as long as you kill a deer on BLM? There are numerous roads that go right through both the private and BLM.

The only way you can access most of that BLM land is if a publicly maintained road goes through it or the adjacent rancher has given permsission to cross their private property to get on the public land. Just because you see roads on a map doesn't mean that it's a public maintained one and there are few public roads down there that meet that stipulation. The only other way would be if a ranch is enrolled in the WIHA or HMA program and it contains some of that BLM within the boundaries.

Last edited:
The above is correct. Also remember, just because a 'road' shows on a map, especially a BLM 1:100K ownership map, does not mean it is open to the public. It may very well be worth a call to the local BLM office from some info. I know of at least two large grazing associations that allow access on/through those checkerboarded private lands. One is enrolled in the Private Lands Public Access program.

General Unit D Wyoming

Due to the private land in some of the Limited draw units, I am now looking at applying for General Tag in Unit D. Does anyone know if one area of this unit is better than the other? Don't want anyone's honey hole, just would like to know where to start. North? South? or maybe a specific unit? Thanks in advance.

I am not familiar with the unit you speak of, but have found that one day of driving around a unit will give you all of the information you need as to where to hunt. Antelope are easy to spot and like a specific type of habitat.

CC---This is the Deer Forum and the OP is inquiring about deer units within Region D if he draws that regional tag. That region now has 6 individual LQ units that aren't legal to hunt on the regional tag and there are 6 others in the north and eastern part of that region that are under the tag he's talking about putting in for.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdK
Back