South Slope of the Uintas Utah

Jlgibbon1

I've wanted to hunt Utah for awhile now, but just collecting points. Looking for information on OTC hunts in Utah's South Slope of the Uintas? Is there good numbers of elk? Is there a lot of hunting pressure? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

If you are choosing the general hunt (rifle), all the OTC (general) units have tons of pressure. If it isn't hunters, it is sheep and cattle. I have hunted the north slope for the last few years and only gotten one spike. Next year I will adding south with an archery tag and picking a dry cow or dumb spike off one of the more primo units.

I've wanted to hunt Utah for awhile now, but just collecting points. Looking for information on OTC hunts in Utah's South Slope of the Uintas? Is there good numbers of elk? Is there a lot of hunting pressure? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

I would suggest use the OTC hunt as opportunity to explore the LE units you really hope to draw. Many of the LE units have OTC spike hunts with decent success rates. Feel free to PM me and I'm happy to help with those I'm familiar with.

Be sure to have onx maps as a lot of public land on the south side has been falsely painted orange on the corners and gates. A bolt cutter can come in useful for the same reason. GJ

have seen a few elk in there while I was deer hunting,,seen most in heavy timber up high,,not a ton but there are elk there.

I hunted the south slope Ashley for 5 years. Its full of elk but its also full of hunters. Utah hunters in that area love, and I mean love, to road hunt. For some unknown reason they believe the sound of a off road vehicle attracts elk. So unless you go deep expect to see and hear a lot of people. Usually by 3rd week of September the elk start to move on to private land. I've seen in excess of 400+ elk on Simplot land. If you want an area to scout I'll tell you one place I know. Head to the top of red cloud loop until you see a sign that says brush creek. Park your truck and head north on foot. Follow the creek for a 1/4 mile. Then start making large circles. If you search hard enough you will find a spring. I've seen, both in person and on trail cam, many elk in that area. Even after the start of rifle season. Best tip I can give you.

I hunted the south slope Ashley for 5 years. Its full of elk but its also full of hunters. Utah hunters in that area love, and I mean love, to road hunt. For some unknown reason they believe the sound of a off road vehicle attracts elk. So unless you go deep expect to see and hear a lot of people. Usually by 3rd week of September the elk start to move on to private land. I've seen in excess of 400+ elk on Simplot land. If you want an area to scout I'll tell you one place I know. Head to the top of red cloud loop until you see a sign that says brush creek. Park your truck and head north on foot. Follow the creek for a 1/4 mile. Then start making large circles. If you search hard enough you will find a spring. I've seen, both in person and on trail cam, many elk in that area. Even after the start of rifle season. Best tip I can give you.

That was my secret spot! That Simplot mine does look like the National Elk Refuge every fall. Smart critters.

That was my secret spot! That Simplot mine does look like the National Elk Refuge every fall. Smart critters.

I worked at Simplot for 5 years and the amount of elk that would end up there by January 1 is mind boggling. I've seen 360 class bulls there. But I've also seen them clear up by baldy. I have another spot up by the yurt that I'll keep a secret for now. My wife and I found a small meadow surrounded by trees at about 9500' elevation that consistently held good bulls. WGI_0035.jpg Here's one we got on trail cam in the meadow at night in June.

I've always wanted to dive off Mt. Leidy and backpack hunt north towards Browne Lake. Miles of great roadless country. Great pic. Thank for sharing.

I've always wanted to dive off Mt. Leidy and backpack hunt north towards Browne Lake. Miles of great roadless country. Great pic. Thank for sharing.
Yes sir. That is beautiful country. There is a trail that goes from the Leidy area clear over to Brownie but its rough as a cob. There are some hidden lakes back in there also. I believe one is named horse head lake. I've seen elk in that area but I've also seen some very nice mulies. I never did get the chance to spend a lot of time in that area. Wish I had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back