Caribou Gear

South Dakota pheasant forecast

T Bone

SD game fish parks has forecast record 40 year highs on pheasants. If you've ever thought about coming out, this would be a great year for it.

This dogs are going to have perma-grins on their faces! And that reminds me, I need to pick up a flat of hi brass 6's in the near future.

So how tough is it for some non-residents to come out and find property to hunt on? Here in SE Idaho I think you have a better chance at getting to hunt the ranchers dogs than his pheasants.

Can a guy come out there and shoot a mixed bag-you know, throw in some sharpies and prairie chickens?

There are plenty of areas with public access. BLM, state land, and state leased private land are a-plenty and there are maps of the accesible areas.

You have to work for the birds but if you have a good dog and can cover ground, you'll get birds.

Pheasant and grouse mixed bag are common. I've yet to see a hun, chukar, or quail while hunting in SD.

Sounds great. Maybe my buddy and I will load up the dogs and head that direction. We hunt a Weimer and an English Pointer. Covering ground isn't the issue-keeping up with the dogs is.

Maybe we could talk Churchman into picking up a weapon this fall?

I'm surprised there aren't any huns in your area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back