Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Son's First Limit on a great hunt

NVLongbow

Went sage grouse hunting Saturday with my two boys and their God Father, Jerry. It was a great hunt that ended with giant smiles, big blisters, and a greater appreciation for the freedom to hunt our public lands, I should have bought my Kenetrek boots in a size 11 instead of 10 1/2.

We picked up Jerry in Reno at 5:00 AM and we're eating breakfast at the Model "T" in Winnemucca (One Moccasin) at 8:00. I forgot the camera and had high hopes so we hit Walmart and picked up a $109.00 12 megapixel special. Finally locked, loaded and hunting by 11:00

My youngest son Logan scored his first limit and our 7 month old hunting dog Jobey pointed/retrieved his first bird. Logan took both his birds out of the air with a youth model 20 gauge. He was shooting the premium version of the Federal #6 shot 2 3/4 inch shells and I was impressed with the distance at which he was able to drop a large rooster. Last year he shot a chukar at 70 yards and I thought it might be an anomaly but now I am a believer in the power of a 20 gauge with the right load.

Logan was the first of our group to limit out and this was good redemption for him. He missed shots at a couple big muley bucks last year. They were the first deer he had every shot at and nerves got the best of him. My son had a good time but did not like the taste of tag soup. Logan has grown and matured a bunch this past year. I wish time would slow down a bit because my kids are growing up to fast for my liking.

By the end of the day we had all filled our sacks.

Sage grouse make great jerky. We lucked out with most of our harvest being big mature roosters; the best kind for jerky making.

Enjoy the pictures of Logan, our hunting party, and Jobey. Hope you all have a great hunting season and don't forget your camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Congrats!!!! Great photos. I love to hunt sharptails & prairie chickens. Sage grouse & chukar are on my list if I ever get that far west!!!

good luck to all
the dog

Awesome birds and photos. You keep taking your sons hunting and you're going to end up with friends and hunting partners for life ;) Great job!

Nice job, Scott! Enjoy that shirtsleeve weather while you can. Looks like winter is almost there.

Congrats!! Love chasing those boomers. Looks like the birds are doing pretty good in that area. Hunt 'em while you can...

That is awesome shooting right there. Congrats guys and enjoy it while you can. Mine too is growing fast and I can't wait to go out hunting with him.

Great stuff, guys. Congrats to the boys. Not sure how you will top that hunt, but know you will give many efforts trying to do so.

Looks like I good time was had!

Jerky eh? I've never eaten Sage Grouse, I never could get past the smell while cleaning them, but my buddy loves it

Congrats again to the boys....Cal is on a roll....limits every time out!!

Thanks again for letting me be a part of the boys learning to love to hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back