Yeti GOBOX Collection

Snowshoe advice

MTPUBLICLAND

Hello everyone, looking at buying some snowshoes for horn and bear season this year. Been researching and reading reviews, just curious if any of you guys use them and if so which ones you like. Would be using them in fairly steep terrain in deep wet spring snow. Last year I had a lot of rough days sinking up to mid body depth snow during afternoon heat while shed hunting. Makes for tough going not to mention getting soaked. Just looking for opinions on what to buy. Thanks for any advice!

I've done a fair amount of snowshoeing, on both synthetic and natural shoes. In my opinion, the bigger the better. But, bigger shoes are tougher in brush and you'll have to find a balance that works best for you.

My current favorite is a pair of 300 pound Yukon Jacks from Costco. My wife prefers her LL Beans.

9C48C642-EDF3-4DB5-9C62-4F5AF697F134-6598-000007FD537FC1E3.jpg

My wife and I snowshoe alot. She has a pair of Tubbs Frontiers and I have a pair of Atlas, but am not sure the model, they were Cabela's branded. I would say the biggest thing with the new snowshoes is the bindings. I like racheting straps across the bridge of my foot rather than the criss-crossing nylon straps, much less slop in the binding. You definately want to take a close look at the bindings before you buy. IMO, Get the longest pair you can without them getting too wide. The more surface area the better, and the new aluminum frames are so light, any additional weight will be almost undetectable. Take a look at some powder poles too if you are going to be in the deep stuff, or uneven terrain.

For what you are describing, I would recommend one of the MSR models. I have an older version of the evo and I use it primarily for what you are describing. They have very aggressive traction and a heel riser that makes going uphill way easier than the standard type of snowshoe. They also sell an attachment that adds about 6 inches in length that is very easy to take on and off. The bindings on mine are a little different than the new ones, but I find them very snug and easy to take on and off. These are not the best snowshoes for deep light snow on flat ground, but if you are planning on using them on steep terrain I would stay away from the more standard style. While I can cruise right up a mountain after a bear, my buddies with Atlas and Tubbs spend more time slipping and falling.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/snowshoes/ascent/evo-ascent/product

Ditto theat.

I have this shoe with the tails and they work pretty well. I think for what you are wanting to do, you would be very happy with them.

The bindings are very easy to use.

Another ditto for the MSRs. My wife did a lot of researching with backcountry friends before she got some for me. A couple weeks ago I used them to take an elk out in a sled. They worked great. Except when you took a step backwards. Do not step backwards in snowshoes.

For backcountry, all-snow conditions I've enjoyed a pair of Easton Backcountry shoes. For more weight, carrying a heavy pack, the bigger the better.

I have a pair of Easton Artica backcountry and they work well for hiking and what not. I haven't had them in all sorts of conditions but use them fairly frequently. As posted above, the bigger the better but width can be an issue. No one walks like they've been riding a horse all day, or wants to. They have a really simple binding that I like for ease of on/off, and I can quickly make them tighter by just pulling a handle on the straps. If I figure out how to upload pics off my phone I would show you.

I don't have experience with other brands, sizes or bindings. But I know these work for what I do.
I also plan on bear hunting with them. Good luck!

I have hiked many hundreds of miles in snowshoes, both on the job and hunting. I have taken whitetails and caribou while hunting on snowshoes. The newer style shoe made of aluminum frames and plastic webbing are very noisey in the cold weather. Unless the terrain is very steep or the conditions are icy, I like to hunt with my old Tubbs wooden shoes 48" X 10". If I am just trying to cover ground, I wear the new style 35 "X 9.25" Atlas (Cabelas) shoes with the built-in crampons.

Shoots straight - those are some aggressive looking snowshoes! I've been looking for a good pair, but haven't found what I really wanted. I think these are what I've been looking for! Thanks.

I've used a set of MSR's for the last 15 years. I do have the additional tail. I don't use the tail all of the time, so I like the versatility of it.

My brother has a pair of Tubbs. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

I have hunted many days on mine. If the snow is soft they aren't that loud. If there's crust - then yes they are a little louder than the Tubbs. I have shot elk while wearing them - but I can't recall the snow conditions when I did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back