PEAX Equipment

Snakes & backcountry medical kit & spot transmitter

300wby

Another 1st time western hunting question here so forgive me.

First..
I'm looking to hunt regions Y / R / D in WY (rifle, general deer) this fall, so mid to end of October. Is there any danger of rattlesnakes being active in those areas during that time? Is there even rattlesnakes in those areas? Being from the Midwest, poisonous snakes aren't something I really come across. Also, I cant say that I've ever seen any hunting show where you see guys wearing those snake gaiters so is that something that people just know to take with them or is that not something necessary? Also, any recommendations on a medical kit to take along? A snake kit as well?

Second,
Does anyone run one of those spot personal emergency transmitters? Those regions are pretty remote and I'm unsure of cell signal and it maybe a few hrs to get to a hospital if something goes south. How reliable are those emergency transmitters? Any recommendations?

Thanks again,

I usually don't worry about snakes. I see at least 15-20 rattlesnakes a year and have yet to encounter one where I felt I was about to get bit. I just make sure I'm aware of where I'm walking especially south facing rock outcroppings and placing my hands. I can't imagine how hot a pair of gaiters would be that could stop a snake bite.

As for the SPOT it is just my experience but I prefer the Delorme over the SPOT.

I have the SPOT and it works well for sending preprogrammed messages back home. I (thankfully) haven't needed to use it for an emergency yet.

I'm also from the Midwest, and wondered about rattlesnakes before I started hunting out west. I found that once I get out there and hunt, I don't even think about them. The drive to and from your hunt is much more dangerous. I did come within about 12" of stepping on two blacktail rattlesnakes in New Mexico while elk hunting last year. It turns out I can't hear rattlesnakes very well. My hunting partner pointed them out after I had walked past. They were coiled up and buzzing like crazy. We backed out of that area carefully and continued on a less rocky route. I consider myself lucky to have been able to see them since I don't get the opportunity in Minnesota.

I always carry a small, basic 1st aid kit with me that includes the usual bandages and wound dressings as well as Benadryl, some good pain killers, and super glue for cuts. Haven't needed it yet but I'm sure someday I will.

I hate snakes. I try to hunt later in the Fall when weather is cooler to avoid any encounters.

Second,
Does anyone run one of those spot personal emergency transmitters? Those regions are pretty remote and I'm unsure of cell signal and it maybe a few hrs to get to a hospital if something goes south. How reliable are those emergency transmitters? Any recommendations?

Thanks again,

check this thread out...http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=260595&highlight=locator

I have a DeLorme and I know a bunch of others chose that route so you can actually converse with others via text message.

I have a SPOT for work and have sent literally thousands of "I'm OK" messages with a few fail to sends likely due to very heavy cover in deep canyons.

I would not worry about snakes. Not a big issue. Even if you see one, odds are overwhelmingly in your favor. When my mind is not focused on shooting something, very seldom, I worry more about late summer lightning storms, my allergy to deer/elk/antelope, or busting a knee/ankle in the hills. I encounter a few snakes every year, but their presence does not occupy any of my time.

I believe in snake karma. I leave them alone when I encounter them and I hope they leave me alone when we encounter each other.

IMG_0674.JPG

They are very photogenic things, for sure.

NM 2012
IMG_0662.JPG

NM 2009
IMG_3918-001.JPG

MT 2011
IMG_0894.JPG

NV 2013
IMG_1473.JPG

NM 2014
DSCN1081-001.JPG

my allergy to deer/elk/antelope
I think I might share this with you. Antelope and the whitetails I have killed and processed have given me a bit of a runny nose and itchy eyes which I didn't think too much of, but after dealing with the first mulie I've encountered killed by a friend, 2 days later my lips, ears, and face swelled up to 3x their normal size and resulted in a trip to urgent care for a steroid shot and a prescription of Prednisone.

I need to see an allergist before tackling elk if we draw tags this year, a bull elk might just kill me if the reaction is proportional.

I think I might share this with you. Antelope and the whitetails I have killed and processed have given me a bit of a runny nose and itchy eyes which I didn't think too much of, but after dealing with the first mulie I've encountered killed by a friend, 2 days later my lips, ears, and face swelled up to 3x their normal size and resulted in a trip to urgent care for a steroid shot and a prescription of Prednisone.

I need to see an allergist before tackling elk if we draw tags this year, a bull elk might just kill me if the reaction is proportional.

Could this be a reaction to the environment where these animals live? Sagebrush and Rabbitbrush have pretty nasty pollen right around the end of summer/early fall.

Could this be a reaction to the environment where these animals live? Sagebrush and Rabbitbrush have pretty nasty pollen right around the end of summer/early fall.

It's possible, but most of the contact with whitetail I've had is here in IL during the dead of winter. The mulie was in NE in mid November.

Either way, hopefully an allergist will be able to diagnose exactly what it is that caused me to inflate and keep it from happening in the future.

I use and suggest the delorme InReach. When you're out of cell service it works off of the iridium satellite system. The thing I like about it is that it is a 2 way communicator, not just an 'I'm OK' message everyday. You can have actual conversations back and forth with whoever you want. It has come in handy on an elk hunt when my wife was able to get ahold of me to let me know she was sick and I had to get home. I also use it year round due to cross country driving and driving out of cell coverage. There was a time that I broke down and I was able to reach my wife and she could arrange assistance for me. Also with the SOS function you talk back and forth with the rescue team.

Threads like these make me happy to live in Norway.. Even though I managed to get bitten twice up here as well..

I never worry about them. Most are pretty small and easy to get along with.

snake_zpslgbmaelv.jpg

I've not had a reaction that bad, but I am quite allergic to critter dander. If you don't now, I'd suggest an OTC allergy medicine and start about a week before you leave. That and rubber gloves, I prefer the rubbermaid dishwashing gloves, keep me from having more than a bit of an itch.

Rattlesnakes give me the willies. I can't hear very well and I almost put my hand on a little one a few years back while crawling in MT.

I never worry about them. Most are pretty small and easy to get along with.

snake_zpslgbmaelv.jpg

You are crazy mtmiller.

First question : you should be fine in October.

Second question : I do not use or 'run' one of those technologies. If you like gadgets, get one but isnt the point of going to be out of touch?

Last edited:
You are crazy mtmiller.

It was April IIRC. He was small and not very aggressive, but it was a little awkward knowing if I was too close while looking through the viewfinder.

Shot turned out good in my opinion.

2-1.jpg

Back to the OP. Common sense will get you a long ways with prairie rattlesnakes. They are not very aggressive and it would not be something I would worry about while hunting.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back