PEAX Equipment

small creek fly rod

MThuntr

Does anyone have a preferred small creek fly rod?

I'm pretty well setup for most creek and small river fishing and tend to prefer my RL Winston GVX Select 9' 5wt for most of my fishing. This setup is a bit too large for small stream fish. This is especially evident when I fish timbered tributary waters and I'm constantly dodging branches on a stream that may be only 3 feet wide. I love fishing waters that get passed by the great majority of people. Nothing like being surprised by a big fish in little waters.

I was thinking something in the 2-3 wt range but at the moment that's all I have.

My small creek setup is a an Echo 7'6" 3wt with a Battenkill Barstock. Action is on the slower side, but I like it.

I have been fishing for the past 2 years with a St. Croix Avid 8'6" 4wt. I fish lots of small water with in, but not quite the 3' wide stuff... Much of it is 10-25' wide. I really like the Avid series for a small water rod. It's more of a Medium action, softer presentation rod than anything. Plus it is made in Wisconsin. They do offer a number of lengths in a 3 wt. From 6'-7'9" as well as a 7-6" 2wt

As a side not, I have fished some of the larger water in the Missoula area with it. Don't generally feel undergunned unless I'm wanting to throw big streamers... Its just not fun with that 4wt...

I have two short (5'6", 7') 4wt rods I use on small water. I have a 9' 6wt that gets used most where there is room. Like you I went 2 down in weight. I think a 3 would be real nice but I've never fished one.

I too like small hidden creeks with some deep holes everyone overlooks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back