Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

slow Duck season in the South?

All the ducks migrated to Instagram check there. Semi joking but you can get a pretty good idea of where the ducks/geese are by checking Instagram. Lol.

It’s been a pretty good year in Montana, but with highs in the 30-50’s and open water galore we are holding some birds, probably even more to the north. More East on central flyway the Dakotas seem a little colder. Probably a good bunch held up in Nebraska/Kansas/Missouri area. Pray for weather, hunt further north, or call USFWS and tell em to set the season guidelines in to February.. lol.

I saw teal and widgeon on a nearby pond last week, that’s not normal for January. hope we’re not hunting a muddy corn field for the closer like last year.

Last edited:
Worst duck year i have seen in wy. Been warm, no snow and limted nasty fronts all season. I count on frozen ponds and snow covered fields on my river blind. Went one day last week didnt even see a duck(not even miles away) next trip shot 1 teal and only seen half dozen. One weird thing is SO MANY GEESE, its the opposite of ducks here now. I just go ice fishing since duck hunts suck now

My friend in Arkansas who pays about 10K a year for his duck lease said that if things dont change by next year that he is getting out of the game. Said it just isnt worth it anymore to pay that much for a lease to kill 10 birds a season.

They used to shoot limits almost every day in the later part of the season.

Maybe thats why there are not ducks? lol

My friend in Arkansas who pays about 10K a year for his duck lease said that if things dont change by next year that he is getting out of the game. Said it just isnt worth it anymore to pay that much for a lease to kill 10 birds a season.

They used to shoot limits almost every day in the later part of the season.

Maybe thats why there are not ducks? lol
Even limits doesn’t sound worth 10K!? To each their own, but public marsh grinding is weirdly gratifying.

I’m afraid that this shift to a more northerly winter staging area for waterfowl is not ephemeral as there have been multiple slow seasons in the south over the past 5 or so years. DU has talked about this too and the Flyways may very well be seeing a general shift that will be long-lasting due primarily to warmer temps overall.

It was slow here in IL on the public I occasionally hunt and it is currently real slow on the public in Southern IL per the DNR guys I spoke to at specific sites.

It was slow here in IL on the public I occasionally hunt and it is currently real slow on the public in Southern IL per the DNR guys I spoke to at specific sites.
Yah I saw quite a few ducks in early dec. on water but with no weather fronts they just didnt move or feed much.

Last edited:
Hunting on the Great Salt Lake marshes has been about average for me this year. I haven't noticed much change over the past few years.

It's always slow in central Indiana but slower than normal this year also. I have only heard a few flocks of sandhills also... normally by now they are all south of me.

getting up at 2 am to get a hole only to have someone set up 50 yards away is not fun or gratifying been there done that
Scout better. Complaining about public land cons on a public land hunting forum?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back