Slick Wyoming Roads

Bowaddic

What do you guys carry in your trucks to help with getting suck or getting out once you are stuck. I keep hearing Wyoming roads get slick with just a little rain. I'm from an area where we have black muck and orange clay. So I figured I will being a shovel, come-a-long and tow straps. I Don't have a winch on my 2015 GMC 4x4. Should I get tire chains or do you recommend anything else to add to my equipment list?

I agree with boutdoors. If they're slick, don't even bother driving on them, you'll make some nasty ruts at best. By "slick" we mean that you can barely even walk on it. That said, it would be a good idea to have some tow straps so someone else can help pull you out. You're not going to dig out of this stuff with a shovel.

If the roads are that muddy I stay off them for a day or 2, no reason to ruin the road for others

Where we hunted this year the semis hauling in and out of the oilfields did plenty of damage for everyone else.

I carry 4 sets of chains, shovel, come along, and tow strap. Also a tarp is handy as well as work gloves. I have a personal policy that I use the chains to get me out of trouble, not into it.

We ended up having to get new tires while we were out there. We got aggressive tread and they worked great on the slick roads.

In field now and it has rained every day since we got here! The roads I got by with 4x4 and you have to kick your boots of a lot. It's sunny and windy today. Hope this helps you.

Looks like I'll need to invest in some tire chains I have everything else are there a certain type you guys would recommend I'm a Florida boy and have never dealt with them.

I make sure I top off near the last fuel stop before heading in, and carry an extra 2 gallon can just in case. That'll get my rig 40-50 miles, back to the closest fuel stop.

One thing to watch for with chains is to make sure your vehicle has the proper clearance. I can fit heavy chains on my back wheels, but will only clear the low-profile cables on front. As others have said, I keep mine in case I have to get unstuck, not to get in somewhere. I've never had to use them on a hunt, but it gives me peace of mind to have them on hand just in case.

Do you guys carry extra gas for your trucks?

The closest gas to where we were hunting was about 80 miles one way. You're dang right we carried extra gas! Since you can do a lot of driving while looking for lopes, it is easy to burn gas. We took two 5 gallon cans and used both of them during the archery season, and only one during rifle.

Always carry extra gas (2 five gallon cans). Remember a tarp. Nothing worse than having to shovel under a high centered truck lying on your back in the mud or snow. A tarp at least makes it's lot better. GJ

On my way back from a muddy hunt, and agree with the advice above. Bring extra gas and all the precautions you can, and then try not to need them. I didn't have tire chains, but will before I return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back