Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sitka Gear

ERSS

Thinking about getting a set of Sitka Gear Camo. I have heard good things about it, but not known anyone who actually bought a set. Pretty spendy, but claims to be as good as the best mountain ski wear.

Anyone got a set? Know someone who does? Opinions?

I have almost all of it. What are you looking at?

Some of it, you will use 95% of your hunting time. Some it, most hunters will seldom need/use. Pretty much depends on what type of hunting you do and what conditions you will be in.

I like it very much, but I am not paying full price. I still use my old wools from time to time.

I do like the mothwing camo pattern for western hunting. Through Cabela's, you can now get it in Mossy Oak and Realtree patterns. I believe that is the only place you can get those patterns.

The 2008 stuff is better than the 2007 stuff, which was really good stuff to start with. Some of it has not changed for 2008.

If you buy it, I suspect you would be very pleased.

There are big differences in each model of jacket and pants, so make sure you pick the piece that works for the conditions you hunt in most often. Some of it is too hot for early season or active mountain hunting. Some is too thin for winter conditions. Sounds pretty logical, but some expect it to be a "one piece for all uses product." It is not, unless you hunt in the same conditions all the time, thus the layering concept applies, as with all clothing.

Given the prices, make sure you spend for the items you will get the most utility from.

I really like the vest. It is long enough to cover your lower back and not ride up. I even bought another vest in the non-camo green for everyday use.

I have the coat as well and I do not like how tight it is on my forearms. I realize it is suppose to be close fitting but I feel like a figure skater in it.

I as well did not pay full price for any of it. Just waited til late fall to buy.

BHR - thanks for the link, good info

BigFin - I found a place selling the 2007 stuff for 20% off, so was going to get the 90% jacket and mountain pants to start and see if it lives up to the reviews. Would be used archery and rifle elk/deer hunting on the Idaho/Montana line, pheasants in Nov in SD, etc. Sounds like it will work well, for being out in areas where the weather can change fast

Thanks for the input guys...much appreciated:)

I've got a few different things of theirs. I lucked out and picked up last years vest and 90% jacket on closeout in ASAT camo that they made last year only. Both have been great for me. I've got a couple other items of theirs that I really like as well and I might add a couple more this year. I think it might be a bit overpriced but it is good stuff and I happy some other companies are starting to copy it as that will just lead to better gear all the way around.

I have a couple complete sets. I really like it. I ripped the crotch out of my mountain pants in AZ. but that is the only problem I have had. I don't care for the fabric on the shirts side pocket (little noisy) but the stuff works!!!

Mike

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back