Sitka Blacktail Pic

DavidAk

I flew down to southeast Alaska this weekend for a one day hunt. Here's a photo of the deer I took on Sunday...

fa854c3d.jpg

Good hunting to all..
Dave

Nice buck. That's definately another hunt to put on the "someday" list.

Oak

I'll post a little bit more info when i get to work tomorrow if you like...

Here's what most of the buck looks like now...

fa83de18.jpg

cheers,
dave

While I am digging that really scrumtious looking entr'e. I really am liking that musk ox. Any field pics of that critter?

Ah yes..I think a few field pics do exist, might take me a day or two to drag them up..I'll keep you posted and see what I can do..

dave

Old Pro, you might be able to tell from the pic that I was hunting him down in the thick stuff, up close and personal.

I was pushing through some brush when I heard him bound away, somewhere just ahead of me. I couldn't see him, but could tell from the sounds that he was just startled, and hadn't completely left the country yet. The rutting blacktails will often bail a short distance, then stop and evaluate. While he was evaluating, I gave a couple bleat calls from a Primos can and heard him bounce back a little closer and off to my left. I sidestepped and peered through an opening, to see him broadside with a surprised look on his face.

When I squeezed the trigger, I swear I was looking at him broadside from about 20 yards through an opening in the brush. When the gun went off, he was ass-end to me, bounding. The bullet clipped his left ham and entered his body just at the last left rib, travelling forward.

In a hearbeat, he was gone into the thick stuff, with no real blood trail to follow. The spot he was standing in had a few drops of blood and some hair. That was it.

I was using a .375 with remington corelokt bullets, and knew that he wouldn't go far despite the unintended shot angle.

I went into the brush after him and found him laying down, head up, looking away from me..again about 20 yards or so away. I put one into the center of his back, between the front shoulders. That bullet ended up stuck inside just just under his left armpit so to speak. I only recovered the second bullet, not sure where the first ended up.

The photo was taken before I rolled him over, and at the moment, I hadn't investigated things.

Funny that a little deer takes two shots from a .375 to put down, but that's the way of it sometimes. Wish I could have touched off a split second sooner, broadside, but things have a way of progressing quickly under such circumstances. I don't think he liked being surprised up close, and he wasn't hanging around long!

In the end, I was happy to have him and glad I use a gun that can drive a bullet into the zone even if there's some non-vital body parts in the way. Not saying a .375 is necessary, but I like the caliber a lot and it's comforting in brown bear country..especially when hunting alone.

So, that's the story. Wish I could say it was a nice easy one-shot drop, but you do your best and hope it turns out well, I guess!

dave

Back