Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Should Have Bought A Tundra

Anyone who believes they aren't losing money when they trade in a vehicle needs to revisit their economics and finance studies.
Depends on what u consider a loss when it comes to trading vehicles. It loses value the second it leaves the lot. So obviously there will be a loss. But if someone owes say $16,786 on a truck and gets a trade value of $14,000. That's doing pretty good.
Our last 4runner i told my wife it was gonna be a mountain vehicle because i didnt think we would get anything over $2000 on a trade. We got $3500 so we traded it. So I understand the resale value of toyota and it's great. The 4runner before that had to be towed to the same dealer because it left me stranded and was expensive to fix and not worth it to us we got $1500 out of a broke down vehicle.

PS. One of my chevys also left me stranded before. Damn doors locked themselves when I was on a point glassing for elk. Damn electronics. I was pissed a bad snow storm came in and I had to hike forever. I wrote chevy a letter they didnt respond. Havent left keys in a vehicle since.

Last edited:
Depends on what u consider a loss when it comes to trading vehicles. It loses value the second it leaves the lot. So obviously there will be a loss. But if someone owes say $16,786 on a truck and gets a trade value of $14,000. That's doing pretty good.
Our last 4runner i told my wife it was gonna be a mountain vehicle because i didnt think we would get anything over $2000 on a trade. We got $3500 so we traded it. So I understand the resale value of toyota and it's great. The 4runner before that had to be towed to the same dealer because it left me stranded and was expensive to fix and not worth it to us we got $1500 out of a broke down vehicle.

PS. One of my chevys also left me stranded before. Damn doors locked themselves when I was on a point glassing for elk. Damn electronics. I was pissed a bad snow storm came in and I had to hike forever. I wrote chevy a letter they didnt respond. Havent left keys in a vehicle since.
I consider a loss to be the amount of value I receive for trade in relative to the amount of money I can receive by selling outright. If someone owes $16,786 on a vehicle and gets rid of it for $14,000, they are losing money pure and simple. If they can only sell it for $14,000 they are losing money.

We don't buy new vehicles anymore. Even if we had the financial latitude to purchase brand new vehicles, I highly doubt we would. It's senseless in my mind to take the depreciation loss. Like @jryoung, I like to buy vehicles that are at least five years old. The depreciation curve on a vehicle flattens around then (depending on the vehicle, some like Tundras don't drop as fast) and your resale value does not decrease as rapidly. I bought my last Dodge for $14,000 with 200k on the clock. Drove it for eight years and sold it for $9,000 with 301k on the clock. I paid $18,000 for a 12 year old Tundra with 84k on the clock. The same truck with 200k+ on the clock is selling for $10-12,000. Hard to beat that for depreciation.

I understand there is a convenience factor involved in trading in a vehicle. Without going into the weeds in car sales, too many people get fixated on what their vehicle is worth, instead of focusing on what matters. That is the out the door (OTD) price difference.

You are nearly always far better off to sell the vehicle outright and then go purchase what you want to replace it with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this on here a couple times now, can someone link a source?
Interesting, I just googled it and couldn't find a source either, but I swear I've read several articles over the last two years that said they were looking at ending it, which is why they haven't redesigned it, and why the upcoming "redesign" will grossly under-impress.

However, I wouldn't trade mine for anything and hope they do keep the line going. I really like the idea of under-featured and over-engineered.

We don't buy new vehicles anymore.
Agreed I bought my current truck at 5 years old and 60k on the clock. And plan on driving it until it turns to dust if possible or selling it privately if it starts to nickle and diming me and buy another used one.
The 4Runners are a different set of circumstances for us as my wife travels a lot for work and has to drive colleagues a lot of times all over the state. She gets a stipend for it so it works out to have a newer comfortable vehicle for traveling by herself or with colleagues.

The 4Runners are a different set of circumstances for us as my wife travels a lot for work and has to drive colleagues a lot of times all over the state. She gets a stipend for it so it works out to have a newer comfortable vehicle for traveling by herself or with colleagues.
Yep, that's a completely different situation.

When I bought mine, 2012, it was the most American made truck, manufactured in South Carolina.
All that said, if he were still alive my grandpa would nearly disown me for buying a Toyota over a Ford.

I consider a loss to be the amount of value I receive for trade in relative to the amount of money I can receive by selling outright. If someone owes $16,786 on a vehicle and gets rid of it for $14,000, they are losing money pure and simple. If they can only sell it for $14,000 they are losing money.

We don't buy new vehicles anymore. Even if we had the financial latitude to purchase brand new vehicles, I highly doubt we would. It's senseless in my mind to take the depreciation loss. Like @jryoung, I like to buy vehicles that are at least five years old. The depreciation curve on a vehicle flattens around then (depending on the vehicle, some like Tundras don't drop as fast) and your resale value does not decrease as rapidly. I bought my last Dodge for $14,000 with 200k on the clock. Drove it for eight years and sold it for $9,000 with 301k on the clock. I paid $18,000 for a 12 year old Tundra with 84k on the clock. The same truck with 200k+ on the clock is selling for $10-12,000. Hard to beat that for depreciation.

I understand there is a convenience factor involved in trading in a vehicle. Without going into the weeds in car sales, too many people get fixated on what their vehicle is worth, instead of focusing on what matters. That is the out the door (OTD) price difference.

You are nearly always far better off to sell the vehicle outright and then go purchase what you want to replace it with.

Assuming you drive a car until it dies what do you think about buying new versus 5 years old?
Do you like you are more likely to do a better job of maintenance in years 1-5, to extend the cars life and offset the deprecation curve costs?

I think at this point a lot of it has to do with people who plan on owning vehicles a long time buy Toyotas, because of their reputation.

Driving back from Missoula yesterday I saw my 94 F 150 still out there hauling stuff w/ a trailer as I came down Mac Pass.

JLS is correct. Only thing I didn't like about the Toyota was the road noise.

Assuming you drive a car until it dies what do you think about buying new versus 5 years old?
Do you like you are more likely to do a better job of maintenance in years 1-5, to extend the cars life and offset the deprecation curve costs?
That's where due diligence comes in. The last pickup I bought new, I planned to drive it until it turned to dust. I wrecked it at 170k miles and insurance totaled it.

With the advent of Carfax reports, you can have a pretty good idea going in 1) how often it went in for maintenance and 2) if there were any recurring issues that maybe weren't addressed.

When I bought my last Dodge, I bought from the original owner. He had a meticulous maintenance history, and I had a shop check it out. The Tundra I just bought also had a meticulous maintenance history, and nothing I found during my test drive or inspection led me to believe there was anything I needed to be concerned with.

Granted, it's still a calculated risk. My work vehicles are meticulously maintained and I've still had some serious issues with them, both in and outside of warranty. If I would have purchased a big 3 brand vehicle, I would have purchased from a dealer with a lifetime powertrain warranty. With a Toyota (maybe it's false sense of security) I wasn't as concerned with that.

I think at this point a lot of it has to do with people who plan on owning vehicles a long time buy Toyotas, because of their reputation. Kind of a chicken and an egg type thing. I think they purposefully under-option their vehicles and over engineer, in order to keep this segment happy. For someone like Newberg who only keeps a truck for 2 years, they don't make a ton of sense, unless you look at it strictly from a resale perspective, which Toyota dominates at.

I bought a Toyota 18 months ago with 70k on the odometer. It has 130k now, and I plan on keeping it long term. At some point I'll transition it to mountain use only and get something more refined for my daily commute.
I bought my Toyota truck in 2009, still have it today, 39k when I bought it, 122k now, only major thing to go wrong was it required a new alternator, touch wood it will serve me well for a few more years, they are indestructible!
Cheers
Richard

I bought my Toyota truck in 2009, still have it today, 39k when I bought it, 122k now, only major thing to go wrong was it required a new alternator, touch wood it will serve me well for a few more years, they are indestructible!
Cheers
Richard

06' manual Corolla.... 250k I'm still on the original clutch.

Need to add boot threads. No clear winner yet. mtmuley
Maybe boots are a good analogy. I like autos that last forever and require very little maintenance and I don't care very much about looks or comfort or widgets. Boots, on the other hand, I want comfortable and lightweight, even though they may only last a season or two.

I just enjoy watching the mental gymnastics some will go through to defend their choice, rather than just admitting that brand B is not as reliable as brand A. And too often, in my opinion, brand A is ruled out because it is just not cool in certain social circles.

Back