PEAX Equipment

Shooting problems

krshunter

Not quite sure where to put this one so I'll start here. My buddy has a Ruger No.1 Stainless in .243. We reloaded some various bullets and powder charges and went to the range. Nothing seemed to group particularly well. 2" to 3" groups at 100yds. About the same luck with some factory loads. One particular load put two bullets about 1/4" apart and he thought he pulled the third shot so we went with that load. Loaded a bunch and went back to the range today to fine tune and nothing real good again. Tried five different groups. I tried on myself with the same results so I know it's not him.

Started with a clean barrel and the first shot in his rifle is always out in left field. After that one shot went about 3" high and on center left to right. Next shot was about 1-1/2" high on center and the third shot was in between those two on center. Next group put one about 4" high, second about 1" high and third almost touching the first. Third goup similar results again. Left to right seems nearly perfect but the shots always space like steps on a ladder for the most part. I got the exact same results. Two of the five groups have two shots within about 1/2" of each other and the other is 2-1/2" out but always in a vertical line. Everything is vertical for the most part. Does this sound like a load that the gun just doesn't like or a scope problem possibly? Any thoughts appreciated.

Factory loads would probably have proven it, if you had an ammo problem. What kind of scope do you have on it? I have had that exact problem with the lower line of Simmons and Tasco scopes. Really sounds like a scope problem to me. Thats where I would start.

Are you shooting a square target or a round one? if your shooting a round target put a piece of tape on it and aim for a corner have one cross hair on top and one on the side of the tape.

That ruger number one should shoot under 3/4" groups at 100 yards with a scope and factory rounds.
I have quiet a few #1's and have never had a bedding problem with any of them.
One problem I have had is a scope mount slipping.

When ever you sight in a rifle witha scope always use a square one inch block target and aim for a corner you will have better luck and better results.

Delw

I agree with WH--sounds like a bedding problem. I'd pull the forearm and check to see where its putting pressure on the barrel.

I kind of had it tabbed as a scope problem or bedding problem. The barrel is floated and I haven't checked that part. The scope is a brand new Leupold VX II and we did check all of the screws in the field. Everything was tight. I figured being as every group is a vertical line it probably wasn't a case of the gun not liking the bullet. We'll look at a couple of the suggestions and let you all know what we find. Thanks for your input.

If all of the screws are tight, try putting a different scope on and seeing if the problem changes or goes away.

:cool:

See this post on the same issue from a different thread....

Sounds to me like the scope is loose or the reticle in the scope is loose. Check the scope mounts and rings to make sure everything is tight. If that is all tight, find a bore sighter and check the reticle in the scope.

Align the lines in the bore sighter with the lines in the reticle and make the location from center. Then remove the bore sighter and tap the butt of the rifle sharply on the floor. Reset the bore sighter and note any difference in the position. Remove the bore sighter once again, and smack the forend sharply from the bottom two or three times. Reset the boresighter and re-align. Check the position on the grid. The third time, remove the bore sighter and smack the barrle sharply from the top two or three time and recheck. Don't be surprised if the reticle moves. It happens a lot more frequently than people realize.

:cool:

If the scope is ok and the barrel is floating you can try adding a pressue point to the forearm. I use small pieces of electical tape and build the point a few pieces at a time until the stringing stops. Some guns seem to shoot better with a little upward pressure.

Well, we took the gun to someone this weekend that knows much more about them than we do. His first comment was check the barrel floating if it is giving vertical groups. He took the forearm off and Ruger didn't finish routing out the barrel channel. The channel was very rough and while 90% of the length of the barrel would take a dollar bill smoothly, there was about 1/2" of wood that didn't get taken out and it was clearly visible that the barrel had heated up and been touching that portion. He said it was just a poor finish job by ruger. Took it all down and did a float job. We haven't had it out to the range yet, but excited to go see what it looks like.

I had a friend that had a similar problem with one of his rifles. he thought he had it sighted in then the groops started floating around, progessivly up . I told him to give the scope a sharp rap with the plastic part of his screw driver . then shoot . groops came back to zero . He got rid of that scope. Problem solved .
I have never heard of it happening with an expensive scope like yours but you never know , it could happen .

P.S. I can't afford to shoot with expensive equipment ,so I make do , still get my deer every year :D

Back