Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sheridan, WY Fly Fishing?

hansontyrel

I know this isn't about hunting, but I am making a trip to the Sheridan area tomorrow and wondering if anyone has had any good luck with flies near the area. We will be staying in a hotel in town and just enjoying the brewery and sights around closer proximity to Sheridan.

So, anyone have any secret spots you're willing to share? Wader or no wader, I can make it happen.

Big Horn River might be your best bet this time of year.

The Big Horn River is nowhere near Sheridan! It's way on the other side of the mountains and goes up through Greybull on it's way to Montana.

I'm not worried about the drive, its the adventure I'm in it for! I'll be sight-seeing through the bighorns on my trip anyways. I'm just planning on shacking up in Sheridan area. Do you know of anything nearer Sheridan maybe for a before-breakfast wake up?

The Big Horn River is nowhere near Sheridan! It's way on the other side of the mountains and goes up through Greybull on it's way to Montana.

I can't quite figure out your obnoxious fetish to be right sometimes. All one has to do is drive up the interstate towards Lodge Grass and then go west.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not worried about the drive, its the adventure I'm in it for! I'll be sight-seeing through the bighorns on my trip anyways. I'm just planning on shacking up in Sheridan area. Do you know of anything nearer Sheridan maybe for a before-breakfast wake up?

You could drive up and fish the tailwater below Tongue Reservoir. I don't know if the Tongue River up by Dayton would be 1) open or 2) fishable.

You could drive up and fish the tailwater below Tongue Reservoir. I don't know if the Tongue River up by Dayton would be 1) open or 2) fishable.

As I was reading this I was just doing a little bit of map research. Looks like Tongue opened up 1 April! Looks like a trip to Dayton is in order. Even if it's a slow day of fishing, I'll take that over any day at work.

As I was reading this I was just doing a little bit of map research. Looks like Tongue opened up 1 April! Looks like a trip to Dayton is in order. Even if it's a slow day of fishing, I'll take that over any day at work.

As long as it's not blown way out and muddy you can likely catch fish. I don't typically do all that well early in the AM this time of year though.

There is some wicked good fishing in the Bighorns, but likely not this early. I spent a year in Gillette and most of my frer time in the Bighorns. The forks/headwaters of Powder and Platt Rivers are simply one of the most amazing stretches of water I've ever fished, and I've fished a lot of places... might be tough this early though. Sand creek in the Black Hills is a fun creek and some neat country too, it's about 3 hours or so from sheridan. Same goes for the Bighorn, maybe a touch closer.

As mentioned, the Bighorn in MT, would be worth the drive. Should be fishing well this time of the year, and only get better until high water.

I'm getting itchy to get out as well. Jealous.

I can't quite figure out your obnoxious fetish to be right sometimes. All one has to do is drive up the interstate towards Lodge Grass and then go west.

Dude, the guy specifically stated in his original question fly fishing "NEAR SHERIDAN" and also stated "near proximity"! Why get your panties in a big twist when all I stated was that the Big Horn is not near Sheridan. Sure he can go across the mountains or up into Montana where you said and that's fine, but you're not talking "NEAR SHERIDAN" or "near proximity" or "close to" like the original question asked about if he has to drive 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If he now says that the driving is no big deal in his followup posts then what you and others mentioned is fine. Geesh, get a life and get off my back!!! Another good place would be to go up over the mountain and fish Ten Sleep Creek, as it's noted as being a good fishery. There shouldn't be much snow melt this year to muddy things up and he says he's going up through the mountains. There are a lot of spots all the way down to Ten Sleep that are easily accessed off the highway where it crosses the creek a number of times.

Last edited:
There are a few steams in the bighorns that are worth fishing but off hand i don't know their names. I love the area and will be going back this year.

Last year, unit 37 probably hunt that unit again this year. it doesn't have a very good success rate, but when you are buying leftover tags you take what you can get.

Dude, the guy specifically stated in his original question fly fishing "NEAR SHERIDAN" and also stated "near proximity"! Why get your panties in a big twist when all I stated was that the Big Horn is not near Sheridan. Sure he can go across the mountains or up into Montana where you said and that's fine, but you're not talking "NEAR SHERIDAN" or "near proximity" or "close to" like the original question asked about if he has to drive 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If he now says that the driving is no big deal in his followup posts then what you and others mentioned is fine. Geesh, get a life and get off my back!!! Another good place would be to go up over the mountain and fish Ten Sleep Creek, as it's noted as being a good fishery. There shouldn't be much snow melt this year to muddy things up and he says he's going up through the mountains. There are a lot of spots all the way down to Ten Sleep that are easily accessed off the highway where it crosses the creek a number of times.

Near is relative. I've never considered an hour and a half a long drive to fish. I guess I should have consulted you first to make sure I was operating within the accepted parameters of nearness.

Near is relative. I've never considered an hour and a half a long drive to fish. I guess I should have consulted you first to make sure I was operating within the accepted parameters of nearness.

Someone needs to get a life and it ain't me! Hope you can get over it and have a good weekend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back