Shell options

406hunter

I was wondering if I could get some advice on a good outer shell. I'm hoping to stay under the $200 mark. I hunt in Montana all seasons and in all different types of terrain. Right now I'm looking at the kuiu guide or the first lite stormtight(I can get a good deal on this coat for $180). I know there are probably lots more options that I'm overlooking. I'm also kind of stuck on whether to go with a louder completely water proof coat vs the quieter soft shell type that aren't completely waterproof. Tough decisions;)

I wear my Jetstream jacket a LOT. I carry a Marmot Precip in my pack for downpours.

How big are you? I have a 2xl Stormtight on eBay that ends in 6 hours for $125

I also own the guide from KUIU. I love them both, I prefer the guide for every day and nice weather but when the weather gets nasty I'm bringing the Stormtight and leaving the Guide jacket at home.

Last edited:
Too hard to compare the two. A guide jacket is a jacket, the stormtight is a shell. If it rains or you're in brush with the guide jacket you will be wet.

If you have good layers for insulation, and no waterproof layer then I would go with the stormtight, easy decision.

This year my guide jacket never left the closet as I opted for wool layers and a puffy for anytime it wasn't raining. When the skies turned on I pulled my waterproof layer out of my pack.

Thanks for all the reply's. Size wise I'll probably go with a large, but thanks for the heads up schaaf. I do have a good mountain hardware puffy and wool for layering and just need the shell to finish up my gear. It looks like the stormtight is what I'm looking for. The only complaints I've heard about it is the noise- is there any merit to that? Is it an option for archery?

Thanks for all the reply's. Size wise I'll probably go with a large, but thanks for the heads up schaaf. I do have a good mountain hardware puffy and wool for layering and just need the shell to finish up my gear. It looks like the stormtight is what I'm looking for. The only complaints I've heard about it is the noise- is there any merit to that? Is it an option for archery?

The jacket can be noisy in dry, calm weather. With any weather the jacket is fine. You won't feel a thing under the shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back