Sheep Hunting

Can't trust or respect a guy who plays baseball or hunts without a hat. Just ain't right IMHO....

And also, for reference, this is the "bad" unit in region 2, the one with the reputation as being the hardest to pull a nice ram out of.

Some pictures from last fall-

129_zps37ade552.jpg

133_zps7bbccb8d.jpg

No sheep should have to be disgraced by having itself shot by that asshat.

The unpredictability of who draws the tags...WOW!

No sheep should have to be disgraced by having itself shot by that asshat.

The unpredictability of who draws the tags...WOW!

I guess I was just surprised he would even be someone that would apply for a sheep tag.

Hunters really are our own worst enemy most of the time

Wasn't denying it's a just reputation.

Years ago some of us got in a sheep capture to try and fix this. FWP was moving some Anaconda sheep over to this HD. Mostly ewes and young rams. We strung up a huge net just on the back side of a ridge, propped up with 2x2's then a helicopter would run the sheep into the net. We were waiting behind the net and when the sheep hit the net we would tackle , hog tie and blind fold them. Horse trailered over and released. Lots of fun, but the ram quality never really improved.

Wonder who makes the "Sheep Hunter" muck boots. Lowa?

Also would have been interesting when he was set up to shoot across the road at the ram in the trees had he shot..

Last edited:
So he drew a NR sheep permit, hired a guide, and hunted near a road? And missed a couple shots? And didn't have acceptable #hairandmakeup? You guys are haters.

Did he use the word's "hardcore" "extreme" or #beastmode? He has a hunting TV show? How is this possible?

Did he "run the mountain"? Was he in "sheep shape". Was it a 200" ram? Was he wearing a head to toe matching hunting uniform? Was there an army of flat-brimmers with him? Was it a 1000+ yard shot?

I didn't watch the program, but was there rap music or heavy metal playing?

I have to be honest I didn't watch it, but I can imagine from the comments. This stuff is killing us.

I don't think my intent of this thread was to mock these guys, although obviously they're kind of making themselves easy targets.

The video, and a lot of experiences I have with sheep in Western MT, have me often scratching my head and wondering just what in the heck we're doing with sheep here in MT. Yeah, we've got a monopoly on the record books, but at what cost? These hunts and our management strategy don't exactly make for the greatest of experiences, and don't create the greatest image of trophy hunters for the public's eye.

I will say, that I used to poke fun at the breaks sheep hunts as 'shooting rams out of a cattle pasture'. After spending time over there this fall watching where those rams rut, compared to where our Western rams rut, I was about as ass-backwards as I could have been.

Stop the hunts before the rut and success rates will fall.

Is critical to take the key out of the truck ignition prior to opening the door when are road hunting since the annoying key reminder alarm might spook the animals. I also like to set up for the shot using a cushion rest even if is a glove on a tree stump or the tripod from my spotter. Backpack is a good rest, too, if not shooting in taller grass or brush. Freehand or a placing the riffle on a slippery tree trunk is generally less accurate that when have a firm rest. That said, a bighorn ram is on his wall and not mine. Oh, tag gods, why have you forsaken me?

Is critical to take the key out of the truck ignition prior to opening the door when are road hunting since the annoying key reminder alarm might spook the animals.

Nah. A real pro disconnects the wires to that beeper right after he slaps an "Own More Bone" decal on the tinted rear window.

That guy is something else. Totally oblivious.

Looked like the guide was ready to choke him too! Probably drove him nuts during the hunt.

I don't think

I will say, that I used to poke fun at the breaks sheep hunts as 'shooting rams out of a cattle pasture'. After spending time over there this fall watching where those rams rut, compared to where our Western rams rut, I was about as ass-backwards as I could have been.

That's what I've heard many say as well. They tell me they want to do a "real sheep hunt" in the western part of the state. Well i don't think a breaks tag is any less of a hunt than this now. Really if a guy had a tag up the Gallatin he could wait till the end and shoot it off the highway licking salt as well.

From what I've seen Bighorns sure aren't the same as Dall sheep. One look from a mature dall ram from a mile away and the gig is up.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back