Caribou Gear Tarp

Shed damage

ttinman23

Anyone have any input on how long it would take to have a nice shed chewed up. Found two six pointers (not a match) yesterday. The one was chewed up pretty badly the other one was about 90% intact but appeared to be a fresh one. both found in woods in open timber. Seems like it takes no time for the critters to start chewing on them.

The time it takes is in direct relation to the size of the shed. The nicer the shed the sooner the vermin starts in on them, or so I've noticed:D

It could be worse, you could have left them on Randy11's kitchen table.

It all depends, I've found sheds that are years old.... yes years! moss growing over them, the distinct fade due to aging on the ground, some parts chewed on.... But, I'd say most sheds are gone within the first year and/or months... really it all depends on the number of critters running around and other food sources.... etc.

Every Elk shed I found last year had some gnaw marks on them. I never did find a full set, I figured the tastier one got dragged off. The critters seem to like to start with the calcium buildup at the base. I have been looking for a good base to make a belt buckle to mount a set of burglars on. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get out there and start shed hunting before they are gone.

Last edited:
Back