Yeti GOBOX Collection

Setting up…

homestead

I just bought a used PSE coyote recurve. I’m not an archer, so I don’t know my ass from a hole in the ground with this. I just want to mess around with this while getting my 15 year old son into archery.
What arrows should I use?
Finger tabs? Glove? Silicone finger savers?
Other accessories?
As always, thanks for advice and insight.

Cheap arrows, you'll break a few to start with. Go to google there's tons of instructional vids, and get your elbow up high, otherwise lots of pain in the shoulder, and a little often is better than a lot all at once.

Welcome to the trad crew

I just bought a used PSE coyote recurve. I’m not an archer, so I don’t know my ass from a hole in the ground with this. I just want to mess around with this while getting my 15 year old son into archery.
What arrows should I use?
Finger tabs? Glove? Silicone finger savers?
Other accessories?
As always, thanks for advice and insight.

Arm guard, glove or tab, bow stringer. Get some decent carbon arrows-they won't break unless you do something really mean to them, arrow spine depends on bow weight/arrow length. Go on 3RiversArchery and check out their spine chart and see if they have some fletched arrows on sale, or better yet go to a close archery shop and have them set you up and give you a shooting form lesson...

follow your spine chart to your draw weight and that will give you the arrows you need. Id invest in a larger target for beginners as you will undoubtedly be losing some arrows. Thats kind of part of it though. You dont golf without losing some golf balls.

Thank you gentlemen. It says 60” 50. I’m assuming 60 inch string and 50 pounds draw weight. Am I right?

60inch long, 50 lb draw but doubt your son will pull 50 lb, or even you, and if you can it's likely to do some damage to your shoulder. As previously said go to an archery shop.

Thank you gentlemen. It says 60” 50. I’m assuming 60 inch string and 50 pounds draw weight. Am I right?
If it 60" You will need a 56" string. You need to know your draw length. You need to be able to hold the bow at full draw for 10-15 seconds comfortably in order to develop any kind of decent form. You tube has a lot of recurve shooting instructional clips. That recurve might have replaceable limbs. IF its a three piece, you can buy lighter limbs to work your way up. It better to learn the right way instead of developing life long bad habits. It can be very rewarding.

60" is the AMO length of the bow, which is measured along the curvature of the bow from string groove to string groove. You will need a 60" AMO string, which will have an actual length of 56-57" (depending on the string maker and material).

50 is the draw weight in pounds at a 28" draw length. If you draw the bow further, the weight at full draw will be more than 50 lbs (and vice versa). Draw weight on most bows will increase/decrease by 5% for every inch above/below 28". For example, a bow rated 50 lbs at 28" should measure 45 lbs at 26".

IMO a 50 lb bow is way too heavy for anyone's first recurve (youth or adult). If you can find replacement limbs, put a 25-30 lb set on it and work your way up from there. If you can't find replacement limbs, hang it on the wall for now and get a Samick/Galaxy Sage with light limbs as a starter bow.

Cheap arrows, you'll break a few to start with. Go to google there's tons of instructional vids, and get your elbow up high, otherwise lots of pain in the shoulder, and a little often is better than a lot all at once.

Welcome to the trad crew
YouTube is king

So, I put a string on and realized real quick that 50# is a lot more than I'm comfortable with. I have an old compound I got when I was 16 that I'm gonna pull out and mess with. Perhaps I'll give the recurve a try later. Again, thank you for the advice.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back