MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Setting up tent location

mxracer317

Super pumped to be putting the Argali Teepee tent and titanium stove to good use in less than a few weeks! Never had a camp away from base camp.

Got me thinking about tips and suggestions for others who have done teepee tents successfully. Here is an example:

A couple months ago watching Gritty on Youtube, I saw Ryan Lampers use an ice climbing axe to level out the ground really good.

What ideas have you used successfully and also, where are the best locations to set up teepee tents, in the trees, in the open, etc?

Super pumped to be putting the Argali Teepee tent and titanium stove to good use in less than a few weeks! Never had a camp away from base camp.

Got me thinking about tips and suggestions for others who have done teepee tents successfully. Here is an example:

A couple months ago watching Gritty on Youtube, I saw Ryan Lampers use an ice climbing axe to level out the ground really good.

What ideas have you used successfully and also, where are the best locations to set up teepee tents, in the trees, in the open, etc?
I think the setup would be the same for teepee as normal tent setup. Biggest challenge with the teepee tent is finding the right soil because the tents require lots of stakes to stay up where a traditional tent you can do it without stakes.

Ditto the above.

I carry 2 sets of stakes with me. The standard piton style that's OE, and 8 sand/snow ones.

As far as leveling, I'll use my foot as a broom and sweep the area even ish of rubble and such, and assess from there, but site selection is no different from tent to tarp to tipi with the exception if I'm using the stove.

I stop short of grading and planing it out unless it's all snow. Then I'll treat it like wet concrete and pat it all down, maybe build up a spot here/there and use my snowshoes if they're with me.

Yes, definitely buy an ice axe to level out your camp site. I think for the most part we all carry one. Based on some of the responses on this forum, you can tell where some of the guys even store them. :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, don't overthink it, i.e, grading out a slab.

I don't want to sleep on a hill because I always slip off the mat and end up smashed against the side of the tent. I don't want to be in a bunch of deadfall listening to trees break off all night wondering if one next to me is next. I also don't want to be too exposed to weather. I hate camping in tall grass as I think there's more creepy crawlies, probably made up that excuse, but still. Proximity to water.

I think every situation is going to be a bit different. Odds are you'll never find a "perfect" spot.

And you'll never be Gritty tough so just quit trying.

I always wondered who watched their content.
Now you know i guess. Don’t see the problem with watching hunting shows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll admit that the ice axe seemed pretty weird to me too, but I’m not too proud to say I can’t learn from my other people are doing. I can tell you that guys like Brian Call, Ryan Lampers and even Brady Miller, who went on his show, can probably out hunt 99% of guys on the forum.

Feel free to offer helpful insights to the original question. That’s why I’m posting, looking for good info.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely buy an ice axe to level out your camp site. I think for the most part we all carry one. Based on some of the responses on this forum, you can tell where some of the guys even store them. :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, don't overthink it, i.e, grading out a slab.

I don't want to sleep on a hill because I always slip off the mat and end up smashed against the side of the tent. I don't want to be in a bunch of deadfall listening to trees break off all night wondering if one next to me is next. I also don't want to be too exposed to weather. I hate camping in tall grass as I think there's more creepy crawlies, probably made up that excuse, but still. Proximity to water.

I think every situation is going to be a bit different. Odds are you'll never find a "perfect" spot.

And you'll never be Gritty tough so just quit trying.
I thought it was a totem pole of success? After “Gritty” tough, is “Keep Hammering Strong”?! 🤣

I can tell you that guys like Brian Call, Ryan Lampers and even Brady Miller, who went on his show, can probably out hunt 99% of guys on the forum.
If 99% of us cant out hunt those guy why you wasting time asking questions about a tent setup on this forum? I am sure they have reel you can watch.
Good Luck this year!

If 99% of us cant out hunt those guy why you wasting time asking questions about a tent setup on this forum? I am sure they have reel you can watch.
Good Luck this year!
Hah

I feel like I've seen a few YouTube videos from them while going down some wormhole...

And I swear I thought I've seen them have 2 or 3 videos on :
"Why I use MR bag and why it's the best"
"Why I use SG bag and why it's the best"
"Why I use IA bag and why it's the best"

Something about watching them was a bit overtop with "why my latest sponsor is the best, forget how I just said the other guy was best, and the other other guy"

I'm all for changing opinion as your gear grows, but that's usually a "alright, that SO dst tarp was killer, but I had issues with abc, moving to the xyz, I feel I've dialed in, it's a great new product ...."

I can tell you that guys like Brian Call, Ryan Lampers and even Brady Miller, who went on his show, can probably out hunt 99% of guys on the forum.

Feel free to offer helpful insights to the original question. That’s why I’m posting, looking for good info.
I forgot more about killing shit than those guys will EVER know.

A couple of them can grow their hair long enough to look borderline homeless though.......They got me beat in that arena for sure.

Regardless, here is my advice: Don’t put your sleeping bag on top of a rock.

Last edited:
Don't set up where the elk/deer are feeding, bedding or traveling between the 2.
Don't set up way down in the bottom of drainages as it can get really cold.
Don't set up way up high where you can exposed to gusting winds because it can be really hard to sleep when you're listening to your tipi flap in the wind
Don't set up in the deadfall for obvious reasons.
Good luck finding a half a$$ level spot and I've found it works to put a thin line of silicone across every or every other air chamber of your pad and this will help grip your sleeping bag so do you slide right off it.
I like finding old, abandoned cat roads that are partially grown up and out of the wind.

Don't set up where the elk/deer are feeding, bedding or traveling between the 2.
Don't set up way down in the bottom of drainages as it can get really cold.
Don't set up way up high where you can exposed to gusting winds because it can be really hard to sleep when you're listening to your tipi flap in the wind
Don't set up in the deadfall for obvious reasons.
Good luck finding a half a$$ level spot and I've found it works to put a thin line of silicone across every or every other air chamber of your pad and this will help grip your sleeping bag so do you slide right off it.
I like finding old, abandoned cat roads that are partially grown up and out of the wind.
Ahh the morning after! "she was a 10 at two, but a 2 at ten"

Wow, I was going to offer insight because I love my tipi setup...but maybe you should just ask those guys instead. 🤷‍♂️
If i had their number, I would. But instead I asked the forum and got razzed for saying that I watched their content.

Looking for people willing to help out is all.

99% is a figure of speech. I’m sure you’re great. Thanks anyway.

If i had their number, I would. But instead I asked the forum and got razzed for saying that I watched their content.

So I have been running a tepee hot tent now for 6 yrs. My approach:
  • Find as level of a spot as you can. I look for a spot that is on the edge of the trees where the trees can provide a bit of a windbreak but not so close deadfall is likely. Aspens are the worst so I stay out of them if at all possible.
  • I will brush the ground with my boots to get rid of stones, small trees/aspens, pokey stumps, etc. I have also done this with upwards of 12-14 inches of snow so I can get down mostly to bare ground.
  • Pitch with your head "uphill". Reduces the sideways migration at night plus I think you will sleep better with your head slightly elevated relative to your feet.
  • Pitch on locally higher ground so when it rains, you aren't in the new runoff zone.
  • I use the standard stakes. Normally 6. If the ground is soft, I add rocks on top of the tensioned lines, just inside the stakes. If there is a lot of snow, I make deadman stakes with branches and rocks. Haven't had an issue yet. As some have noted in other threads, this approach may not work in the Alaska tundra. But I haven't hunted there so I don't tend to worry that issue.
  • If high winds or snow is forecast, I guy out the tent using the same process to get added stability.
  • I level out my stove as much as possible and then pile rocks around the legs to 1) absorb heat that releases slower overnight, and 2) keeps the stove from tipping in high winds if my guys aren't enough. Gives me peace of mind when I bank the fire for the night and go to sleep.
  • I always put down a thin tarp as a vapor barrier under my inner nest. The inner nest has a bathtub floor that does the same thing but I like an underlayer to protect from sharp objects. If you don't have a nest, then the tarp will keep ground moisture from wicking up into you pad or sleeping bag.
  • As others have said, don't pitch in the bottom of a drainage - that is where cold air pools.
  • On really wet/snowy locations, I will cut a bunch of pine boughs and lay them down to reduced the amount of mud I am dealing with.
I am sure I am forgetting a few other lessons learned.

So I have been running a tepee hot tent now for 6 yrs. My approach:
  • Find as level of a spot as you can. I look for a spot that is on the edge of the trees where the trees can provide a bit of a windbreak but not so close deadfall is likely. Aspens are the worst so I stay out of them if at all possible.
  • I will brush the ground with my boots to get rid of stones, small trees/aspens, pokey stumps, etc. I have also done this with upwards of 12-14 inches of snow so I can get down mostly to bare ground.
  • Pitch with your head "uphill". Reduces the sideways migration at night plus I think you will sleep better with your head slightly elevated relative to your feet.
  • Pitch on locally higher ground so when it rains, you aren't in the new runoff zone.
  • I use the standard stakes. Normally 6. If the ground is soft, I add rocks on top of the tensioned lines, just inside the stakes. If there is a lot of snow, I make deadman stakes with branches and rocks. Haven't had an issue yet. As some have noted in other threads, this approach may not work in the Alaska tundra. But I haven't hunted there so I don't tend to worry that issue.
  • If high winds or snow is forecast, I guy out the tent using the same process to get added stability.
  • I level out my stove as much as possible and then pile rocks around the legs to 1) absorb heat that releases slower overnight, and 2) keeps the stove from tipping in high winds if my guys aren't enough. Gives me peace of mind when I bank the fire for the night and go to sleep.
  • I always put down a thin tarp as a vapor barrier under my inner nest. The inner nest has a bathtub floor that does the same thing but I like an underlayer to protect from sharp objects. If you don't have a nest, then the tarp will keep ground moisture from wicking up into you pad or sleeping bag.
  • As others have said, don't pitch in the bottom of a drainage - that is where cold air pools.
  • On really wet/snowy locations, I will cut a bunch of pine boughs and lay them down to reduced the amount of mud I am dealing with.
I am sure I am forgetting a few other lessons learned.
Awesome! Thank you so much for this.

Dude, one guy razzed you and then you insulted everybody...enjoy your tipi though, they're great. Learn how to set it up the right way so the sides are more flat than concave, you're welcome.

Dude, one guy razzed you and then you insulted everybody...enjoy your tipi though, they're great. Learn how to set it up the right way so the sides are more flat than concave, you're welcome.
You know what, you’re right man. It was a shitty day this morning for me. Didn’t mean to offend people with my uncalled for retaliation…. I just didn’t appreciate the initial “dig” at me for no good reason when only asking a question to learn. I guess I’m simply tired of people pissing in people’s corn flakes, especially when they don’t know the problems people are dealing with.

My apologies to you and others.

Thanks for the advice.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back