Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Setting up in the morning or afternoon?

Cdpp880

Ok so say I have located an elk or group of elk that are hitting a certain hillside or meadow every morning or afternoon. How would you set up? What I mean is with the thermals changing at some point on the sit. Would you set up on top, on the bottom, or along the side in the middle. Just trying to not blow the elk out before they even get there. I don’t have a spot I could glass and then make a move once they got there. The only glassing spot is too far away to make a move that morning or afternoon.
Thanks

I have never hunted where thermals plays a big role with wind and scents. Just trying to figure how play them during that time where they will be shifting. Any pointers?

Id go in the morning early or in the early afternoon after the themrals shifted. Then sit until it swirls. I would 0refer morning, get up high and stay high.

Elk are probably there before you in the morning and thermals will be going down till 8-9. Afternoon might be a better sit since you could get there before them. Wind will probably be tricky till almost dark when it dies down and thermals take over again, but that might be your best chance. I have read of decent success with a ground blind and ozonics but that's an expensive experiment.

Where are they going to bed down? Get just above that trail. Let them come to you.

Last edited:
Don’t know where they are beading, this is a theoretical question. I just know where I will be headed has quite a few smaller meadows spread out over a large area and there is a glassing spot a pretty good distance from them. Just trying to figure out how to I could approach the situation if it arises. Our plain is to get there a few days before season and scout. Hopefully we will be able to locate some elk before and set up on them when season gets there.

I would say your answer really depends on if your approach will be from above or below the said meadow. If your approach is from below then you should be able to set up on the morning since the thermals would be in your face until 9am or so. If your approach is from above then you should wait until after the thermals switch (around 9am) then set-up. I have personal experience from this past weekend where we tried dropping in from above too early and blew two bulls out of a meadow due to thermals. You may be able to fool their eyes, but you can NEVER fool their nose. Wait it out instead of pushing it too fast.

I agree with WapitiBob on this scenario. I wouldn’t spend the money on the ozonics, although it probably works. Those units are spendy...

My approach could be from either above or below depending on what is needed but from above would be better. So on an afternoon would it be better to set up high then possible move to one side as the sun sets if they have not shown up yet?

My basic understanding of thermals is that the warmer air rises. In the morning when low areas begin warm up due to sunlight and rising temps the hot air rises and its best to be above the elk. In the evening when air cools air falls and it is best to be below. That is my understanding of a perfect predictable world, but there are so many other factors.

Slope aspect affects when areas get sunlight and how quickly they warm up. Frontal passages or weather bring unpredictable temperature changes and wind shifts. Cloud cover can bring mid day cooling. The wind can be faster through areas like box canyons and saddles based on topography. Thermals can be different on one side of the mountain than another and the wind can eddy due to pressure changes.

So your best bet is to bring wind checker and use it often.... and if given the chance approach from the same elevation the elk are at with the wind in your face.

Back