Sell me a quilt

perma

While on some of my scouting trips, I've come to realize my 0* Klymit bag is just too much sleeping bag for those warm summer evenings. I normally like to sleep cooler than others. Mostly a side and stomach sleeper as well. I will need a wide and long quilt. I imagine that I will be using this on pronghorn/early elk hunts and maybe some hotel/cabin stays for other reasons as well. Also, I don't know if you should use a liner for one of these but I'm open to that as well. I prefer to not sleep with socks on so an enclosed foot box would be pretty nice. Normally just sleep in base layers but have been known to wear sweatpants if needed.

If anything, the biggest takeaway is that it needs to fit me. For reference, the Klymit XL is perfect. I would like the quilt for lighter carrying and cooler sleeping, which is why I didn't get a second Klymit bag.

So far, i've looked at the Thermarest Corus 32* and the REI Magma 35*. Unsure of the fit of the REI but the Thermarest looks good, just no real footbox.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand go!

The guys over at the Hunt Backcountry podcast did a pretty good episode (No. 130) on choosing sleeping bags/quilts.

I use the EE Enigma 30 degree with an Exped Winterlite? Pad R5.4 and love it in September. It is a bit lighter than the revelation since it doesn’t have the zipper. If it is going to consistently be below 20 I still run a bag. The quilt cuts about 1lb off my packed weight

I love my EE convert it can be used as a quilt or sleeping bag. Mines a 10 degree bag which might be more then you need just stick with the 10 degrees lower then you expect to use it rule. I have a EE under quilt for my hammock as well there stuff is good and as advertised light.

Glad I made this. Never knew anything about EE until today. I’ll have to look closer.

My mom makes some pretty ones. Im sure for a couple hundred bucks she'd hook you up.

On a more serious note I have a Montbell Down Hugger bag that I really really like. It weighs like 2.5lbs. When it's not really cold I open up the bag completely and just put it over the top of me. I put my feet down in the footbox. I works great. I sleep like this all the time. I probably do this more then I actually zip it all the way up. If it gets cold I zip it up. I feel like this is about the same thing as a quilt and the best of both worlds.

I have the 32 Degree Stone Glacier Chilkoot and it is amazing. Changed my life as a side sleeper. I have slept in it with an insulated pad down to mid teens elk hunting in just an under layer bottom

i like the one i got from hammockgear has the foot box but i can unsnap it and turn it into a blanket while in the camper. obviously not perfect blanket dimensions but still adds some warmth when the wife is chilled. paired with an air mattress and it was a super comfortable backpacking last summer

I don’t care what the temp is outside I will always use a quilt. I have 3; a 0 degree, 32 degree, and a 50 degree. I never get cold and have plenty of room to move around.

I custom ordered a hammock gear quilt earlier this year, paired it with the new xtherm nxt(long). 20*, wide/long, 2oz overfill, sewn footbox. Havent put it through the ringer yet but Im confident in my choices. Saved over a pound vs my old setup and gained 10* of comfort rating. Should also be able to go down to 0* if I want to by layering heavy (survival), but I will usually be around the comfort rated 20* range. Early season in the 40* range, will just use it as a loose blanket. Id like 3 quilts like @Scott85 but I chose the 20* to cover most the bases to start.

Its not hard to get 15-20% off the quilt either. Got 20% off the xtherm as well with rei’s yearly members sale.

I’ll also recommend Enlightened Equipment. You can order your quilt exactly to fit your specific needs. I’ve got a zero degree Convert that can be opened when it’s warmer, but can be zipped up and stays really warm when the temperature gets way down there. Most importantly, it’s the most comfortable bag I’ve ever used, because I was able to order it wide enough to sleep on my stomach with my legs spread out a bit when it’s fully zipped.

Granted this a 50 degree down quilt but it compacts down so small. 70693475565__659CDEB1-E35C-4BA9-A3DD-27CD5CD7AD02.jpeg
I would recommend viamoutdoors for a quilt to start. They are priced great and quality is 2nd to none.

you can also check out zpacks they make some super light quilt options. I keep debating the same but havent pulled the trigger.

Granted this a 50 degree down quilt but it compacts down so small. View attachment 285245
I would recommend viamoutdoors for a quilt to start. They are priced great and quality is 2nd to none.
Never heard of them? Anyone else you know own their stuff? I’d like to get a September quilt. I have a stone glacier 0 degree bag for my winter time stuff, and a 15 degree bag for October, but I’d really like a September quilt. I do run hot at night, so I’d imagine something rated for 32 degrees would be perfect as I often like to hang my legs out while I sleep

Never heard of them? Anyone else you know own their stuff? I’d like to get a September quilt. I have a stone glacier 0 degree bag for my winter time stuff, and a 15 degree bag for October, but I’d really like a September quilt. I do run hot at night, so I’d imagine something rated for 32 degrees would be perfect as I often like to hang my legs out while I sleep
@p_ham owns their quilt and tarps. I have 2 of their quilts, 2 different set of game bags, a tarp and a bunch of pull outs from viam outdoors.

That why I went with the 0 and 32. I’ve had the 0 down to -13 and the 32 down to 25 and was happy with both.

Viam outdoors makes really nice quilts and the customer service is top notch. I ordered a 0 degree bag from them and it was handmade and in my hand in less than two weeks. The owner is awesome to deal with and the prices are alot better than stone glacier and enlightened. This was my first quilt I have ever owned and I've slept in it down to temps around 10 degrees and was comfortable in a wool top and bottom.

I think I have one picked out. For the EE folks, is there any value in the draft collar? I do like to wrap my blanket around my neck sometimes, and I often have my arm under my pillow when I sleep.

As others have mentioned, EE makes awesome quilts. They have really perfected the shape, weight, warmth, etc. and it is pretty cool to be able to call them up and talk with some good folks out in MN, yah, yah betcha.

Their stuff is the most used on big ass hikes like the PCT and AT. Backcountry hunting is really just backpacking in dubious places with weird weather while armed and looking to kill an ungulate, so no need to go with "the hardcore hunting sleep system preferred by operators with sleeve tattoos" or whatever the phuck some companies sell.

I have had their 30° Revelation (zippered foot box, works great and when you open it flat, easy to dry out or use when it's warmer) and currently have the 10°. When used as a simple, flat quilt, that thing is great for any late summer/early fall outing, and when it gets chilly, wrap it up, and you are good to go. (that's what she said...)

I have used it down to about 15° on a few hunts where it was windy and snowy, and paired up with a higher R value pad, no worries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back