Seeking Some Advice: 1.5'-2' of Snow, Wolves, and Frustration

LandDiver

Last Friday we hiked in to camp after pulling in to 1.5'-2' of snow. Camp sits just a little over 8k. We sat in my truck thinking about what to do. Our camp has been pitched since a little before the month started, and we feared the worst. We came to the conclusion that we at least have to go see what camp looks like, and if all is well we stay and hunt the next day since Friday was supposed to be the worst day till the end of season. So we hiked through the snow which absolutely sucked, and finally arrived at camp to see both of our tents had collapsed. We were there just 4 days ago and the weather report only called for rain. It was pretty heart breaking to see our camp like that, and the decision was made to pack it all up, and make the turn around back to the truck.

We arrived at the trail head at 6:15pm, and didn't reach camp till around 8:30pm. We were back at the truck at 11:30pm tired, frustrated, and I felt a little defeated. To rub it in a little bit we heard wolves howl as we were heading back to the truck. We actually came across their tracks in the snow. It was so cold my sweat slowly turned to icicles on the brim of my hat. Having not eaten since I left the house at 2:30pm I started to cramp on the hike out. With the little water I had in my bladder frozen I resorted to stuffing snow in my mouth and slowly sucking the water from it as it melted in my mouth. Lifting my leg up and out of the snow to only sink knee deep at times back in it didn't help the cause lol. I'm positive I ran through all the curse words I knew in my head a thousand times over ha ha. I dropped my buddies off at their house a little after 2am, and made it to my house just after 3am. I stuffed my face with what I could, and took a long hot shower. I was in bed a little after 4am Saturday. Another hour and I would have been up a full 24 hours!

Knowing what was to come I tried to slowly wake my wife to let her know I was home, I almost died doing it lol! My kids excited to see me in the morning sleeping in my bed couldn't resist jumping in be with me just before 7am. I missed the mountain so much already that I actually mad myself a Mountain House biscuits and gravy lol!

So here is where I was looking for some input from you guys here on HT. With this past Friday being the worst day of the week and this coming week, and everyday getting 3-5 degrees warmer, what do you guys think about the snow level up there now? Do you think it has melted enough to get back in there and hunt? I have my pack packed with everything I need as if I was packing in camp again. I am prepared to spend the rest of the season out there if I can pitch the tent again. Which I am really hoping I can. I think my buddies may have called it a season already, but I don't want to give up. I won't have this oppourtunity again. I was planning on leaving tomorrow to get back up there and hopefully be able to pack in camp again, but I'm here sitting at the dinner table and looking at the weather report thinking to myself I should give it one more day to melt what it can. My daughter's 8th birthday is on the 28th, and she said I can miss her birthday if I bring home an elk ha ha. But what I really want to do is leave the mountain Thrusday morning to come home to her, and then leave again Friday and finish the season out till Saturday. You guys think 3 days of 45+ degree weather is enough to melt that powder up there at 8k? I haven't spent any time any place else, and I know where the bulls are in the area. Regardless it will still suck to get the meat up to camp, then from camp to the truck, but I want to try if the weather allows.

All I can say is I planned my first elk hunt for a couple years, we set our dates, my buddy took vacation, and then my daughter was on the High school homecoming court that week. I missed it, and 4 years later I still haven't forgiven myself. This year another daughter had a sorority house Daddy/Daughter day, I told my buddy we WILL be back for it, and we were. Point is, don't miss a kids special day for elk hunting. Not worth it, no matter what they say!

Muskeez is one smart fella. My youngest just started her University studies in a neighboring state and I miss her dearly. They grow up fast. We will get your elk during the rifle season. If you can get up there without missing her birthday have at it, but don't miss her big day.

I am in the same boat, on MT side. We hunted low, got into some bulls, but didn't connect.

We strongly feel that the elk will be back up in the next week with temps pushing 70. The snowline continues to retreat everyday. We checked out yesterday at the top to see wha the snow was, still deep, but defintiely less. The next week will see the post rut, but might catch a bull still spun up.

Don't give up. Everything in hunting can change in an instant.

I look at the antlers in my garage from years past and my sentiment reader hits about a 3 or 4 out of ten.
I look at my boys in the middle of their worst tantrums and my sentiment reader hits about a 30 or 40 out of ten.

Relationships always trump accomplishments in my experience. I wouldn't worry as much about the elk. Odds are, you'll probably get out and get one anyway, given how much you want to.

"Relationships always trump accomplishments in my experience. I wouldn't worry as much about the elk. Odds are, you'll probably get out and get one anyway, given how much you want to."

TRS that is a signature line if I have ever seen one. I had an opportunity to double my salary and keep the same benefits plus a new truck every five years. This is with one of the largest Mechanical Contractors in the world. My wife would not have to work ever again. One problem, it was our youngest kid (daughter) last year of high school and this job would require me to be on the road constantly. No prom, no graduations no nothing. I did not even consider it. Nothing can replace those times with your family. We just came back from our first elk hunting trip. Did not kill an elk, did not even see on eon public land. But we really missed our three granddaughters.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back