SE Montana winter kill

Arty. The choice is yours. If I were in your shoes I would still come. If you turn back your tag FWP will just sell it to some other guy so your staying home will not make one bit of difference to the herd. Just don't expect to see as many deer as there was last year and it is likely that bucks will not grow as good of a set of antlers this year as much of the calorie intake this spring will be needed to replenish body condition instead of being used to grow antlers.

I would still go . It's hunting , you never know . You could come over a ridge and shoot your best deer ever . Who knows . I know for certain you won't shoot one from home

Actually I have been watching the weather conditions but just like this post and several others, it’s hard for some to judge because there are always people saying “the deer are fine”, “the deer are doing bad”, etc

best advice to listen to is the locals. Doesn't make any sense to listen to people talking about conditions in an area, yet they live 400 or more miles away.

First time I finally get a group of friends to agree on a western hunt and mother nature wrecks my plans. If Randy says he's not hunting it, I think I might need to start looking at backup plans.

First time I finally get a group of friends to agree on a western hunt and mother nature wrecks my plans. If Randy says he's not hunting it, I think I might need to start looking at backup plans.

I'd hunt it . Might be less deer but betting there'll be less hunters too .

I'm guessing the NE part of Montana must be getting hit hard as well as we are getting another few storms coming through Southern Alberta in the next few days.

I think the really heavy stuff has been patchier in the NE than the SE of MT. Extreme NE MT has not had as much snow as there is both further east and west, but the extreme cold was fairly extended. The snow we had is now melting fast, but there is still frost just below the soil surface so a lot of the moisture is wasted from a drought perspective so far. Looks like back to subzero lows at least for this weekend, but probably not a ton of precip way over here.

There are other parts of the state where the winter kill isn't as bad...

I just don't know how much that's the case. The highline, Rocky Mountain front, breaks, swan, and Lincoln/Flathead county all got pounded also. The Bitterroot and Beaverhead county got by alright, but public land deer hunting was already pretty limited in those areas.

No doubt the winterkill will be localized and certain drainages will fair much better than others, but in general a lot of our best deer hunting is going to be affected.

I have pockets of my own that I know fared alright, but I feel bad for the guys that have to commit to one spot for a week this fall and aren't able to scout.

Been following this thread and the weather report for SE MT for a while and as a few others have said super bummed as this is my first trip to MT.

Here are my options assuming I draw big game combo.
Option 1)Initial plan... hunt region 7 for mule deer, then head to Butte to hunt elk around there with a friend who lives up there. Probably shoot any decent 4 pointer I see. Would be my first mule deer. I won't shoot a forky but for sure won't be holding out. Never shot an elk so again, anything decent is going in the cooler. This trip would be mid november... try to get home before Thanskgiving to make the wife happy.

Option 2)Try to pick up an antelope tag in the draw coming up. Hunt Antelope the last 3-4 days of antelope season November 8-11th. There's a few 500 units with 100% draw thats on my way to Butte(from Kansas). After antelope hunting, head to Butte and try to fill both my general elk/mule deer tags around the Butte area.

Keep in mind never stepped foot in Montana. I'll have about 10 days off to get this done... the drive can be done in 1.5days... So 7-8 days of hunting hopefully, truck camping until I get to Butte then I'll be staying at my friends. Let me know your thoughts and any advice you might have???

Last edited:
I would stick with 2 tags . Access in R5 for antelope is tough that's why the tags don't have high demand . I'm sure you could get a decent deer around butte .

I would stick with 2 tags . Access in R5 for antelope is tough that's why the tags don't have high demand . I'm sure you could get a decent deer around butte .

Option 3: I guess could to hit up SE MT and see how things are looking for a couple days. If I'm not seeing what I'm liking head on up to Butte to try and deer/elk.

I'm much more interested in an elk than a deer. Killed plenty of whitetails and one antelope. The mule deer was just cause it makes financial sense to combo it.

Probably shoot any decent 4 pointer I see. Would be my first mule deer. I won't shoot a forky but for sure won't be holding out. Never shot an elk so again, anything decent is going in the cooler.

I'm not picking on you but I'm picking on you

Region 5 antelope isn't great for access and at that time in the season a lot of the bucks have begun to shed their horns. So finding a decent buck packing both sides that's late in the season on public land that isn't running 500 mph right when you stop it either must be sick or ready to die.

I understand you haven't shot a mule deer theirs lots of people that haven't but if your gonna take a buck take a decent one. It doesnt have to be a 20 inch wide ....decent eye guards ....4 on each side .....has potential 3 year old .....take a good mature buck. Don't drive all the way up here just to shoot a deer. Whether you hunt around region 7 or Butte.
If your going elk hunting with your buddy I'd focus on that above all and if you see a decent mature buck take him. Good luck and have fun

Last edited:
Region 5 antelope isn't great for access and at that time in the season a lot of the bucks have begun to shed their horns. So finding a decent buck packing both sides that's late in the season on public land that isn't running 500 mph right when you stop it either must be sick or ready to die.

Truer words have never been spoken.

There is nothing wrong with an older three point. In my opinion, an older three point with some mass is a far better trophy than a spindly three year old four point

I'm not picking on you but I'm picking on you

I understand you haven't shot a mule deer theirs lots of people that haven't but if your gonna take a buck take a decent one. It doesnt have to be a 20 inch wide ....decent eye guards ....4 on each side .....has potential 3 year old .....take a good mature buck. Don't drive all the way up here just to shoot a deer. Whether you hunt around region 7 or Butte.
If your going elk hunting with your buddy I'd focus on that above all and if you see a decent mature buck take him. Good luck and have fun

Good info about antelope in that area / time Frame I’ll pass on that. 3tags in 8 days of hunting might be a little crazy anyways.

I think we’re on the same page with what kinda buck I’d shoot. I’ve shot plenty of mature white tails so not sure itchy, it will have to be a solid representative buck. If region 7 isn’t looking good after a few days of hunting I’ll head to butte where I should be able to shoot a mature buck with maybe a little less trophy potential.

Good info about antelope in that area / time Frame I’ll pass on that. 3tags in 8 days of hunting might be a little crazy anyways.

I think we’re on the same page with what kinda buck I’d shoot. I’ve shot plenty of mature white tails so not sure itchy, it will have to be a solid representative buck. If region 7 isn’t looking good after a few days of hunting I’ll head to butte where I should be able to shoot a mature buck with maybe a little less trophy potential.

I’d head straight for Butte and hunt elk and if you see a deer kill it. If you fill your elk tag early and don’t see any deer you want I’d hit southeast montana on your way back through for your deer

But I’m an elk nut

I’d head straight for Butte and hunt elk and if you see a deer kill it. If you fill your elk tag early and don’t see any deer you want I’d hit southeast montana on your way back through for your deer

But I’m an elk nut
+1 IME, elk take more time to find, kill, and get out than do deer, so I'd give the maximum window for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back