SD mule Deer advice needed

gavennn

Me and friend of Mine have been looking at doing a SD DIY Mule deer hunt. We would be coming from Ohio. We have decided to do an archery hunt. We have started looking in a couple areas. Area #1 is around Buffalo, SD in Harding County. Area #2 is in area in general in the Custer National Forrest.

How are these areas for public access (any suggestions that I can start researching would be great.) How are the chances of harvesting a respectable Mule deer in the areas. What is the terrain like in these areas any links or help would be much appreciated. Any suggestions on time of the year for making this trip?

I am also a little confused I have read from several sources that there are basically unlimited archery tags for these areas but when i look on the SD web site it appears you have to enter a lottery for archery tags as well ?

Take a look at SDGFP's hunter atlas. It shows all of the public access in the state.

For archery in the West River units, I'd go the 1st week of November as the bucks will be rut-dumb and active.

I've hunted NW of Buffalo and east of Buffalo on the Walk-In areas and in the islands of Custer National Forest. There are good numbers of deer and some mature bucks, but I've never seen a true monster.

I'd think if you know what you're doing and know how to glass, you'll have opportunity.

One other thought is to hunt the Black Hills the last week of October. There are some very respectable muleys there. Remember rifle season starts Nov 1.

Last edited:
If I was going to hunt in SD in October, I would have a shotgun for pheasants and an archery antelope tag as well. Both of you are going to drive past alot of antelope on the way to your hunting grounds.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back