NEW SITKA Ambient 75

SD Archery Deer

elk1990

Going to be spending a significant amount of time in SD this coming fall and winter and going to purchase a SD NR archery tag. Wondering about public lands east of the river? Is the northwest section of the state your best opportunities or Black Hills? Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated, pretty much flying blind but doing as much research as i can!

Thanks Guys,

T

I would suggest trying along the missouri river. There is a lot of public land and a lot of draws and ravines. If you have a boat that would be even better. Good luck, there are a lot of opportunities for archery.

What sluggo said. That can be a really fun archery hunt along the river, with a chance to shoot a good whitetail or muley. If you tag out early you can walk the draws for grouse.

Lots of diversity in SD. Where will you be located? Lots of public areas in NE SD for whitetails. Are you looking for muley areas? I might be able to give you some tips if you narrow it down some.

Thanks guys!

Kolbeck- I am actually going to be spending time in the Spearfish area and then Brookings. So I will be on pretty much opposite ends of the state at times. I would perfer to take a muley this year but am not set on it. Whatever the best options available I will pursue.

http://southdakotahunting.com/article/earley-buck

This should help to build your excitement for the Brookings area. I'm not real up on the public spots around there, but Oakwood Lakes State park comes to mind.

Don't mean to spoil your excitement but I live north of Brookings and there are nice deer around here but nothing else similar to that quality. The NE portion of the state has a lot of public land available but much of it is simply pothole and wetland type ground. Also, the Oakwood Lakes area gets pounded by college students.

We hunted north of Belle Fourche on BLM land in 2014 and and went 3 for 4 on mule deer. My brother killed a 5X6 with same trash all archery. If you take 85 north out of Belle then turn west onto Camp crook RD to Albion RD there is quite a bit of BLM land. There is an outfitter in the area that thinks he owns the BLM land and tried to give us flak that's why I am posting the exact locations..lol

Last edited:
We hunted north of Belle Fourche on BLM land in 2014 and and went 3 for 4 on mule deer. My brother killed a 5X6 with same trash all archery. If you take 85 north out of Belle then turn west onto Camp crook RD to Albion RD there is quite a bit of BLM land. There is an outfitter in the area that thinks he owns the BLM land and tried to give us flak that's why I am posting the exact locations..lol

Do you remember the name of the Outfitter that did this?

Congrats! Sounds like you guys did very well! Haha..... Thanks for the advice!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back