NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Score ??

texasbucksandbirds

I'm not the best at field judging, anyone have any idea what these might score ? This is on a little bit of land that I have permission to hunt on close to home.

Attachments

• Daddy_8pt.JPG
    Daddy_8pt.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 288
  • MDGC0239.jpg
    MDGC0239.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 270
  • MDGC0601.jpg
    MDGC0601.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 287
I think the big one will NET 135ish. From the looks of his brisket and neck I think he's only 4 years old max(maybe only 3). Don't know how much hunting pressure there is around there but another year or 2 will add a lot. It's certainly tough to let a deer like that walk here in the "land of leases". That other buck is not too shabby for a 3 year old so it looks like you've got some quality there and maybe an age structure you can manage a little. Consider killing only mature deer you won't have to ask scores, you'll just know he's a shooter.

Thanks to everyone for all the input so far.

drthornton- the place i am on has only two other people that hunt it ( family ), the surrounding properties however are heavily hunted, they have the "if it moves shoot it" mentality.

Thanks again to everyone

It takes a BIG 8 to score over 140+ inches (iowa deer). I see that you are in Texas so the smaller body makes that rack appear larger. Very nice deer and rack.

I bet in the high 120's - low 130's. An 8 point rack needs width, mass, beam length and long points to hit 140+. He has nice point length, however average width and mass will hold him down.

Don't get me wrong he is a very nice deer and looks to be a Texas shooter. Good luck on your hunt.

good luck to all
the dog

Sorry to hear that. I leased in TX for years and I feel your pain. Only option is to have the quality deer talk with them but I know how that usually goes.

Good Luck...hope you get him

Only option is to have the quality deer talk with them but I know how that usually goes.

drthornton,

We tried that about 10 years ago in Jack County...spoke with the contiguous landowners & formed a 'loose association' agreement to take aging/scoring classes, set harvest quotas and maturity parameters...etc. Well that was about the time lease prices were beginning to spiral upwards. Although we were fortunate enough hold on to our ground, the hunters around us were constanty changing. We honored our committmet to the landowner but had no cooperation from the across the fencers. Needless to say sightings of bucks with potential and the harvest of mature bucks dropped dramatically. That lease is history.

Of course now high prices are being mitigated by high fence & big scores...headbone on the hoof is king.

Last edited:
this is what i find so interesting about score guessing... always curious to see what everyone uses for individual measurements.. I clearly seem to have something off compared to most other guessers here on this buck. I definitely understand that 8s are much harder to get BIG, but in this instance here is what i was using to get over 140....any suggestions where i'm being too liberal, please let me know.. i have a feeling it might be in beam length, which more times than not seem to be wild stabs by me.

main beams 23 inches.
brows 4
G2s 10?
G3s 8?
the 4 mass measurements per side.. lets say come to 16'' per side..
spread lets say conservatively 18??

if i'm scoring correctly, that would put my guess at right at 140 even....thoughts?

Ya, I am with most post's on this one saying in the 130's! Great looking deer and would like good on the wall!

this is what i find so interesting about score guessing... always curious to see what everyone uses for individual measurements.. I clearly seem to have something off compared to most other guessers here on this buck. I definitely understand that 8s are much harder to get BIG, but in this instance here is what i was using to get over 140....any suggestions where i'm being too liberal, please let me know.. i have a feeling it might be in beam length, which more times than not seem to be wild stabs by me.

main beams 23 inches.
brows 4
G2s 10?
G3s 8?
the 4 mass measurements per side.. lets say come to 16'' per side..
spread lets say conservatively 18??

if i'm scoring correctly, that would put my guess at right at 140 even....thoughts?

Remember this is a TEXAS deer (smaller body) not one from Minnesota. I agree on the length of the points. Where I differ is the mass (he is in velvet) but this only differs by a little... l't's say 15" per side. I do not believe that he has a 23 inch beam length. If he is 18 inches across I would say the beams are more like 19 - 20. If they came around to the front more then I would say 23 inches.

So minus the 6" difference in beams and the 2" difference in mass = minus 8 from 140 and you get 132". Just my thoughts and it's always fun estimating these deer. If this deer is shot we will know in the end.

good luck to all
the dog

Our season opens Oct 2, which happens to be my b-day, and I'm hoping that I can get the deer in the first pic with an arrow in him for a good birthday gift. Then we will know what he measures for sure. Thanks to everyone.

Noharleyyet- what part of Jack county ? that's getting close to my neck of the woods, Wichita county

Noharleyyet- what part of Jack county ? that's getting close to my neck of the woods, Wichita county

Wichita County is home....live in the Falls. .I now hunt Baylor and Archer.

..small world.;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back