PEAX Equipment

Scope ideas

I have a VX5HD 3-15 and several 4.5-14 VX3i. I routinely shoot out to 500 at a 12” tall by 18” long plate. No issues with either. I actually prefer the 4.5-14 for the weight reduction, I feel it’s the perfect all around hunting scope.
You should have no trouble hitting a white 12x18 plate at 4X-6X. Routinely hitting a plate isn’t the only reason to add some power to your rifle scope. The question is, if you looked at two bucks through your spotter and picked the bigger one, could you tell them apart through your rifle scope at the longest range you were going to shoot?

At 14X probably so. At 6X I shot a decent buck instead of the one that was potentially B&C. And that second buck went ahead and taunted me almost once a week for three more months.

My longest kill is with a 3.5x10 holdover, but the higher dialable lume'd variables have spoiled me. My elk rig has a 4x12 Firedot VXR...the new 3HD 3.5x10 illuminated are pretty darn close to the VXR's sight pic, yet clearer. The 300 RUM has a VX5 3x15 but hasn't been to the mountains yet. The lume'd 3HD's are on twin 700 CDL .257 Wby Mags with no dial yet...I'm stil tempted to take one for a walk in CO.

I’ve decided on the Leupold VX3 HD 4-12x40. Going with Schmalts again. I have two other guns that need scopes so I’ll place the one in the safe on one of those. Thanks for all the input

I’ve decided on the Leupold VX3 HD 4-12x40. Going with Schmalts again. I have two other guns that need scopes so I’ll place the one in the safe on one of those. Thanks for all the input

#180668 ...? Great choice

#180668 ...? Great choice
No I didn’t go with the FIREDOT . Went with #180619

You are definitely into the expensive exotic stuff ... which is okay for sure. But if you plan to stay within 400 yards shooting at animals (which to me is a stretch) I personally feel some of the suggestions are overkill. No crime in that for sure. In fact, if you own a gun that is overkill - and your Christenson tack-driver certainly seems to fit that bill - then maybe it won't look right with optics that are anything less?

I think red dot in a big scope is also overkill and may lead to taking unethical shots or shooting the wrong animal. If I can't see well enough through a conventional scope then it's probably too late in the day to be taking the shot, especially a very long shot. Right now I'm shooting a 3x9 Nikon BDC scope on a sporterized WWII 30-06 Springfield and I can get a 3" group at 300 meters (330 yards). 200 meters it's consistently just under MOA. Four years ago this scope replaced a 3X Weaver that the gun had worn since 1972. That old scope looked like it belonged on my gun and it worked fine tracking deer, elk, and moose in snow for up close and personal shots. But when in my sixties I resumed hunting big game on the plains of Montana and Africa, 3X wasn't enough to do the animals justice at the ranges I was encountering. It was a different way of hunting with eyes that had changed massively due to weak retinas. So appearance gave way to ethical considerations. I never messed up or lost an animal (with one sort-of exception) and didn't want to start at this stage in life.

I think the scope you have will probably do what you want out to 400 yards just fine (350 for sure). Perhaps others would expect to see something higher up the food chain on a gun like that. You decide what's important to you. And enjoy.
Have you ever tried a "red dot" before? I shot a buck at around 1130 last year. He was uphill and had the sun behind him. That red dot made a huge difference.....

I bought my first Leupy HD without the firedot reticle, and have some regret now. Better to have it and not need it in my opinion.

Looking for some ideas in a scope. I have a Christenson Arms Mesa 28 Nosler I need to rig up. I have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x 10x40 windplex sitting in the safe. Thoughts on if I should go higher magnification, FIREDOT , or just use what I got. Realistically 400yds would be max shots
Would you be interested in a Athlon Optic? Either a Cronus or Ares line?

Would the Amplus 6 3-18x44 be better than the Zeiss V4 6-24x50? Trying to decide between the two for my Weatherby

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back