School Me on Astro Turf

idnative1948

New park with a football field and track just built across from where I work. They rolled the turf out and spent days spreading from what I have heard is a granulated rubber product. Well now they have had sprinklers running all day for the last three days. Anybody know why? Is it to help compact whatever they spread on it?

We played on synthetic turf and we would water it before every single practice and game. Made it less slippery and we could make better cuts... not sure about watering it during the installation process though.

Two reasons for watering, one to help settle the rubber media and also to keep the surface cool. the turf can generate a ton of heat.

All the new artificial turfs are longer and have the rubber mixed in, this gives almost a real grass feel and is much easier on knees. The water is to first settle the media, and allow them to check the drainage before the rains set it.

I asked and I received. Thanks guys!

I am from the era of grass fields and cinder tracks and ran with those sharp nails sticking out of my track shoes. If your spikes didn't get an ankle, the cinders would rip you a new one if you bit it for whatever reason.
Anybody else have *road rash* from days gone by?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back