PEAX Equipment

Saving the Front

BuzzH

I cant tell you how many times I've heard, "I cant make a difference" or "what you think wont matter" Oh yeah? Someone forgot to tell these guys that....

Montanans carry drilling debate from Front to Washington

By EVE CHEN
For the Tribune

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribune photo by Eve Chen
From left to right, Rocky Mountain Front residents Chuck Blixrud, Karl Rappold and Hugo Johnson visit Capitol Hill to lobby against drilling.

WASHINGTON -- Dressed in cowboy hats, boots and belt buckles, four Montana environmental activists stood out from this week's Capitol Hill crowds.

Rocky Mountain Front residents Candi Zion, Karl Rappold, Hugo Johnson and Chuck Blixrud came to Washington to put faces on their cause: no gas and oil drilling in their back yards.

"One of the reasons we were out here was to build a dialogue with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and the congressional delegation," said Blixrud, an outfitter and rancher in Choteau. Another goal was to say they want the "Rocky Mountain Front to stay the same as it's always been."

The Rocky Mountain Front stretches from Rogers Pass up to the Canadian border, according to Greg Albright, a Billings-based spokesman for the Bureau of Land Management.

The Montana Wilderness Association calls it home to "the largest herd of bighorn sheep in the lower 48 states, the country's healthiest population of grizzly bears and an elk herd second in size only to Yellowstone."

The portion of the Front that hits closest to home for Hugo Johnson, an outfitter from St. Mary, is the Badger-Two Medicine area between Glacier National Park and the Blackfeet Reservation.

"My wife is a Blackfeet Indian," Johnson said. "(We) have a great grandson now, and I would like to have them see (Badger-Two Medicine) as his ancestors did -- without oil rigs and ATVs."

The Montana Wilderness Association claims that a controversial energy bill floating through the Senate now would make "oil and gas development 'the dominant use of public lands in the West,' including the Rocky Mountain Front."

Critics in the capital suggest the Renewable Energy Investment Act of 2003 may not have enough support to pass.

"Everyone on both sides realizes this bill is not going to work," said Sierra Club Public Lands Advocate Dan Lavery of Washington, D.C. "But never say never."

He said one way the bill's sponsors may try to pass pro-drilling measures might be to dissect the bill and attach pieces of it to other legislation, a common practice in Congress.

Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., is sympathetic to both sides of the drilling argument. He welcomed input from the Rocky Mountain Front residents in Washington this week.

"They're in the business of protecting that Front up there and we are too," Burns said. "Putting a moratorium on it, in my opinion, doesn't get us where we want to go. There are (drilling) leases up there now, and I have no problem with them if they comply with the laws of Clean Water and Clean Air and the Endangered Species Act. Who knows? We may need that fuel one day."

Burns has supported reserving access to the land for drilling in case of a national emergency.

Some Montanans think there is already a need for local oil and gas drilling.

"We need to be less reliant on foreign oil and gas," said Willie Duffield of Baker who is executive director of the Montana Association of Oil, Gas and Coal Counties. "There's a shortage. Montana's got an abundance of natural resources, oil and gas. It brings in revenue to the state and schools. I think it'll benefit those counties, and it won't ruin the looks of the Rocky Mountain Front."

Karl Rappold, a Dupuyer rancher whose family has raised cattle on the Front for 122 years, doesn't think there is any reason to drill there. "If we're down to the point where we need that little bit (of fuel), it's time we found a new source of energy. We're in trouble if we have to go down to the last little place to get it."

He argued that the very process of drilling the land would damage it beyond repair. "The land is very fragile where the plains meet the Rocky Mountains," Rappold said. "The topsoil is so thin. It's not like Wyoming or some place where you can come in and plow the ground and reseed it."

Duffield disagreed. "We know (drilling) can be done responsibly and we need to open those resources," he said, adding that with today's technology "it makes small footprints. You'd hardly know they were there when they're done."

Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., has pushed to freeze all drilling along the Front. He also met with the Front representatives.

"Max believes that oil and gas drilling in the Rocky Mountain Front just don't mix," said Barrett Kaiser, a spokesman for Baucus. "It's a special place to an awful lot of Montanans, and Max is going to fight tooth and nail to keep it as it is."

After visiting Washington and witnessing the way government works, the Montana Wilderness Association's Rocky Mountain Front community organizer, Candi Zion, said she realized this is a "process that is going to take some time."

Eve Chen is a reporter for Medill News Service.

Originally posted by BuzzH:
I cant tell you how many times I've heard, "I cant make a difference" or "what you think wont matter" Oh yeah? Someone forgot to tell these guys that....

Montanans carry drilling debate from Front to Washington

By EVE CHEN
For the Tribune

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribune photo by Eve Chen
From left to right, Rocky Mountain Front residents Chuck Blixrud, Karl Rappold and Hugo Johnson visit Capitol Hill to lobby against drilling.

WASHINGTON -- Dressed in cowboy hats, boots and belt buckles, four Montana environmental activists stood out from this week's Capitol Hill crowds.

Rocky Mountain Front residents Candi Zion, Karl Rappold, Hugo Johnson and Chuck Blixrud came to Washington to put faces on their cause: no gas and oil drilling in their back yards.

"One of the reasons we were out here was to build a dialogue with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and the congressional delegation," said Blixrud, an outfitter and rancher in Choteau. Another goal was to say they want the "Rocky Mountain Front to stay the same as it's always been."

The Rocky Mountain Front stretches from Rogers Pass up to the Canadian border, according to Greg Albright, a Billings-based spokesman for the Bureau of Land Management.

The Montana Wilderness Association calls it home to "the largest herd of bighorn sheep in the lower 48 states, the country's healthiest population of grizzly bears and an elk herd second in size only to Yellowstone."

The portion of the Front that hits closest to home for Hugo Johnson, an outfitter from St. Mary, is the Badger-Two Medicine area between Glacier National Park and the Blackfeet Reservation.

"My wife is a Blackfeet Indian," Johnson said. "(We) have a great grandson now, and I would like to have them see (Badger-Two Medicine) as his ancestors did -- without oil rigs and ATVs."

The Montana Wilderness Association claims that a controversial energy bill floating through the Senate now would make "oil and gas development 'the dominant use of public lands in the West,' including the Rocky Mountain Front."

Critics in the capital suggest the Renewable Energy Investment Act of 2003 may not have enough support to pass.

"Everyone on both sides realizes this bill is not going to work," said Sierra Club Public Lands Advocate Dan Lavery of Washington, D.C. "But never say never."

He said one way the bill's sponsors may try to pass pro-drilling measures might be to dissect the bill and attach pieces of it to other legislation, a common practice in Congress.

Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., is sympathetic to both sides of the drilling argument. He welcomed input from the Rocky Mountain Front residents in Washington this week.

"They're in the business of protecting that Front up there and we are too," Burns said. "Putting a moratorium on it, in my opinion, doesn't get us where we want to go. There are (drilling) leases up there now, and I have no problem with them if they comply with the laws of Clean Water and Clean Air and the Endangered Species Act. Who knows? We may need that fuel one day."

Burns has supported reserving access to the land for drilling in case of a national emergency.

Some Montanans think there is already a need for local oil and gas drilling.

"We need to be less reliant on foreign oil and gas," said Willie Duffield of Baker who is executive director of the Montana Association of Oil, Gas and Coal Counties. "There's a shortage. Montana's got an abundance of natural resources, oil and gas. It brings in revenue to the state and schools. I think it'll benefit those counties, and it won't ruin the looks of the Rocky Mountain Front."

Karl Rappold, a Dupuyer rancher whose family has raised cattle on the Front for 122 years, doesn't think there is any reason to drill there. "If we're down to the point where we need that little bit (of fuel), it's time we found a new source of energy. We're in trouble if we have to go down to the last little place to get it."

He argued that the very process of drilling the land would damage it beyond repair. "The land is very fragile where the plains meet the Rocky Mountains," Rappold said. "The topsoil is so thin. It's not like Wyoming or some place where you can come in and plow the ground and reseed it."

Duffield disagreed. "We know (drilling) can be done responsibly and we need to open those resources," he said, adding that with today's technology "it makes small footprints. You'd hardly know they were there when they're done."

Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., has pushed to freeze all drilling along the Front. He also met with the Front representatives.

"Max believes that oil and gas drilling in the Rocky Mountain Front just don't mix," said Barrett Kaiser, a spokesman for Baucus. "It's a special place to an awful lot of Montanans, and Max is going to fight tooth and nail to keep it as it is."

After visiting Washington and witnessing the way government works, the Montana Wilderness Association's Rocky Mountain Front community organizer, Candi Zion, said she realized this is a "process that is going to take some time."

Eve Chen is a reporter for Medill News Service.
Hey Buzz do you read http://www.forwolves.org/ralph/stories.html?

Hey wapiti slayer do you read http://www.imabigdumbshit.org/ralph/stories.html?

Apparently you do.

Oh, and about the front, what do you know about the issue, or are you even concerned about it?

If you'd ever seen it, hunted there, hiked there, or knew about it, you'd understand.

Oh, and by the way, the guys who went to protest in this story are ranchers and outfitters...you know stereo-typical bunnyhuggers.

Not a trick question! Ralph is a little hard core for me but he does bring up good issues and is a hiking MOFO, this man has covered so much country it's scary. Anyway I thought you would be intrested in his site I read it daily, just to see what issues are happening.

Hey wapiti slayer do you read http://www.imabigdumbshit.org/ralph/stories.html?

Apparently you do.

Oh, and about the front, what do you know about the issue, or are you even concerned about it?

If you'd ever seen it, hunted there, hiked there, or knew about it, you'd understand.

Oh, and by the way, the guys who went to protest in this story are ranchers and outfitters...you know stereo-typical bunnyhuggers.
That was a legit website I put up that I read to learn inviromental/wildlife issues. You get all pissed before you even know what I'm talking about. I was trying to give you a source of information I thought you may enjoy. I read it daily since he posts many sources, I don't agree with many of Ralphs issues. This again proves you are an Idiot who over reacts to anything said without looking at it in depth! I hope everyone on this board check out the website I posted because that issue is on there too. You fly off the handle being an ass for no reason. Man I really believe everything everybody posted about you and yer Anti ATV buddies now. You guys read 1 thing, believe it, fly off the handle and that's it.

[ 04-10-2004, 07:29: Message edited by: Wapiti Slayer ]

Wapitislayer, nope, I dont read it, but I'll check it out.

Not sure what that has to do with the front though.

I was sure you were jerking my chain...
footinmouth.gif

Ya got me...

Like I said he is a little extreme in my book but he at least he brings up important issues that need to be seen by Sportsman and the public. It's a great source of information on EVERY issue dealing with Wilderness and such in the Western states. 98.9% of issues posted on this board are posted on his site daily.

[ 04-09-2004, 23:55: Message edited by: Wapiti Slayer ]

That is a pretty good site, thanks.

Sorry about being a little too quick to respond to the first post.

I like this one, very similar, but more geared towards hunters and fishermen. Its updated daily, too. http://www.huntingandfishingjournal.org/

I kind of think there should be an unlimited season on atvers... ;)

That is a pretty good site, thanks.

Sorry about being a little too quick to respond to the first post.
Hey, I love to argue and I'm a smart ass! But I don't post stuff I don't research! So we differ on issues and nothing will change that but if I can offer info to help I will. I have a hot temper and get pissed easy, say shit I regret but hey that's life. I'm on this board to do good not destroy though, I stray off more than not but I try to be nice. One thing I am not and can't stand is a liar, I can't stand that! So whether you hate me ,tolerate me I am honest and will always give my real opinion on things with a little asshole humor involved.

[ 04-10-2004, 07:31: Message edited by: Wapiti Slayer ]

Wap., You might be surprised to find out some posters here in SI think Ralph Maughan is a greenie, Birkenstock, day pack, looney tune, communist environmentalist! :D :D But keep reading his site----he posts some good stuff.

WOW! I'd like to commend you two for settling/stopping the pissing contest! Truely, thanks.

Originally posted by Ithaca 37:
Wap., You might be surprised to find out some posters here in SI think Ralph Maughan is a greenie, Birkenstock, day pack, looney tune, communist environmentalist! :D :D But keep reading his site----he posts some good stuff.
Yeah I know all that, but there is a lot of useful info on his site wether I agree with it or not.

April 12, 2004

Last modified April 11, 2004 - 11:43 pm

Candidates divided on new Front development
By CHARLES S. JOHNSON
Gazette State Bureau

HELENA - The two Democrats running for governor, Brian Schweitzer and John Vincent, oppose new oil and gas development along the Rocky Mountain Front, while two Republicans, Tom Keating and Ken Miller, strongly support the idea.

Another Republican candidate, Pat Davison, said he supports responsible development of Montana's natural resources but hasn't seen a viable plan for oil and gas development on the Rocky Mountain Front.

And Republican Bob Brown said he'd like to see a small pilot project by industry to demonstrate they can explore and produce oil and natural gas with minimal damage to the environment.

Mert and Vicki Freyholtz, retired second-hand owners from Gildford who raise a few sheep, submitted this question to the Gazette State Bureau to ask the Democratic and Republican candidates for governor for their answers: "What is your position regarding new drilling for natural gas along the Rocky Mountain Front?"

The Bush administration plans to identify natural gas along the Rocky Mountain Front - the area where the Rocky Mountains meet the plains between Helena and Canada - as a new source of energy.

Here are the candidates' responses:

Brian Schweitzer, Democrat, Whitefish farmer-rancher: "I support development of oil, coal and gas across Montana. We have huge proven reserves that can and will be developed in roaded areas. The Rocky Mountain Front has been described as the Northern Serengeti. It is an area of outstanding biological diversity that supports a vast variety and number of wildlife and uses by hunters, fishers, hikers, outfitters and horseback riders. It is also a sacred area to the Blackfeet people. It makes no sense to disturb one of the last roadless areas in Montana when so much of Montana is a higher priority for development."

John Vincent, Democrat, Gallatin County commissioner from Gallatin Gateway and former state legislator: "I support responsible natural resource development in appropriate places when significant resource potential exists. The Rocky Mountain Front does not meet these criteria. As a critical part of the Bob Marshall/Northern Continental Ecosystem, the Front contains wildlife, scenic beauty and ecological wonders found nowhere else in the world. It is not an appropriate place to drill. It is a place to save for future generations. Montana has great potential for natural resource development without degrading places as special as the Front. Let's leave the Front alone."

Bob Brown, Republican, secretary of state and former legislator from Whitefish: "I support a pilot project to explore potential for oil and gas on the Rocky Mountain Front. Such an approach would provide a low-risk opportunity for industry to prove that development can be done responsibility with minimal impact to the environment."

Pat Davison, Republican, business consultant from Billings: "I am a strong advocate for the responsible development of Montana's natural resources. I have not yet seen a viable plan for drilling on the Rocky Mountain Front and as governor will review each credible plan for responsible use of our natural resources."

Tom Keating, Republican, petroleum landman and former state senator from Billings: "I support exploration for gas and oil along the Mountain Front in an environmentally sound way. Such exploration would not degrade the Front and the production would add greatly to our economy. Other states and Canada have developed their mountain fronts without damaging the esthetics. We can do it, too."

Ken Miller, Republican, furniture outlet store owner and former state senator from Laurel: "We live in the Treasure State and should with common-sense regulation fully utilize our treasures. With our new knowledge and technology, we can extract our natural resources and protect our pristine environment. This can be the case on the Rocky Mountain Front as well. My family and I live in Montana because of our beautiful outdoors. We love to hunt, fish, hike, ski, snowmobile, camp and generally enjoy God's gorgeous outdoor creations. Montana can have our cake and eat it, too. We can utilize our natural resource treasures and preserve our pristine environment."

Readers may submit questions to the candidates for governor by sending them to Charles Johnson at the State Bureau, P.O. Box 1676, Helena, MT 59624. Or readers may fax their questions to (406) 443-0034 or e-mail them to [email protected]. Include your address and phone numbers for verification and list your occupation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back