Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Save starving Gunnison Valley herds!

Periodic winter kills are a fact of nature. But just because the public has a low tolerance for death doesn't mean CPW should take up feeding. Their decision not to feed is based upon the best available science. The funds raised by this effort would be put to better use if it went towards protecting some good winter range from being buried under subdivisions and strip malls.

I've done plenty of work on feedground elk. Watching them die of disease on a feedground isn't really preferable IMO.

Absolutely on the money. Nature is cruel, but bleeding-heart reactions to nature can be just as detrimental.

They need to hire a B list celebrity and play slow mo footage of the deer laying in the snow and blinking. In the background, sad music plays.

That's how you raise money.

They need to hire a B list celebrity and play slow mo footage of the deer laying in the snow and blinking. In the background, sad music plays.

That's how you raise money.

"For the price of a cup of coffee, you too can save a deer" What's Sally Struthers up to these days?

Periodic winter kills are a fact of nature. But just because the public has a low tolerance for death doesn't mean CPW should take up feeding. Their decision not to feed is based upon the best available science. The funds raised by this effort would be put to better use if it went towards protecting some good winter range from being buried under subdivisions and strip malls.

I've done plenty of work on feedground elk. Watching them die of disease on a feedground isn't really preferable IMO.

Agreed. In fact, there's some good winter range for them to come to in Arizona. :cool:

Jokes aside, long term solutions will have to be created if they want to avoid repetition of the same issue. Suitable habitat has to exist in order for the animals to survive.

Jokes aside, long term solutions will have to be created if they want to avoid repetition of the same issue. Suitable habitat has to exist in order for the animals to survive.

There are not a lot of solutions for the Gunnison Basin. It is a high elevation basin ringed by mountains. The major issue in the basin was created long before most of us were hunting or concerned with conservation.

Several major water projects were developed during the 1960s including the Curecanti Project, which created three major impoundments on the Gunnison River. The Blue Mesa, Morrow Point and Crystal reservoirs inundated some 34 miles of river and associated critical deer winter habitat, severing important migration routes.
-CPW

There are not a lot of solutions for the Gunnison Basin. It is a high elevation basin ringed by mountains. The major issue in the basin was created long before most of us were hunting or concerned with conservation.

There is nothing wrong with removing dams. I believe a gentelman by the name of George W. Hayduke has some experience....

There is nothing wrong with removing dams. I believe a gentelman by the name of George W. Hayduke has some experience....
Ha! “Lake Powell: storage pond, silt trap, evaporation tank and garbage dispose-all, a 180-mile-long incipient sewage lagoon.”

Ha! “Lake Powell: storage pond, silt trap, evaporation tank and garbage dispose-all, a 180-mile-long incipient sewage lagoon.”

“One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothing can beat teamwork.”

Based on the small amount raised on the gofundme site, doesn't look like you are putting much skin into the game. Or any of the other locals.

I'm not a local, haven't lived there for 26 years. My" Skin in The Game" is a $200 donation. I haven't hunted there since I moved away.

Clearly the Gunny locals are motivated to take action that was delayed and ineffective by CPW in 2008, as well as in '82 and '78. CPW has to operate within political restraints, citizens do not. As was quoted in another discussion of this, "no jury in Gunnison will convict people for trying to save them."

My point is, there are lots of reasons people will choose not to help, as is their prerogative. Why those people would post discouragement to those who consider helping is beyond me. How about reading the Go Fund Me info, looking @ the result ($5K raised in 1 day so far), and considering why the locals are getting ahead of CPW efforts: Because locals in Gunny have watched their herds die off almost every decade and CPW do nothing or too little too late. They don't have any more $ to burn than you or I, on hopeless causes.

2 guys meet on the beach @ low tide. One is picking up starfish and throwing them back in the ocean. Other asks, "why are you wasting your time? There are thousands of starfish stranded every day on this coast alone. What you are doing won't matter." 1st guy throws another one back, says "it matters to that one."

If you won't help a cause, @ least don't discourage it. To say no difference was made by feeding in '08 by feeding is unfounded. No way to know how much different the outcome would have been w no action taken.

I suspect these conditions are not out of the ordinary for that area, 1:10 years? I'm not sure what the history is of the area though.

If you won't help a cause, @ least don't discourage it.

I would discourage anyone from parting with money that is not going to go where they think it is. I'm not saying that whomever set this up is trying to steal your money, probably someone with nothing but good intentions, but without CPW saying this is a idea they embrace, it's not going to happen, so where is your $200 going?

So Colorado jury's don't follow laws?

Fact of the matter is it is still not legal.

Did the Bundy's do anything illegal at

Score

The decision of where and when to feed will be made by the Director after considering site-specificinformation(quantifiedtotheextent possible)abouttheanticipatedcostsof feeding versus the consequences of not feeding. If feeding occurs, it is recommended to use weed-free hay (for elk) or commercial pellet products formulated for use in wild ungulates.

Wonder if the Director is ponyed up on the go find me?

I'm not there.....but looking at the cameras in Carbondale, glenwood, and Montrose area ...it doesn't look that bad. Lots of bare ground showing . Gunnison area looks pretty wintery though.

Just because people don't like to see deer and elk suffering through a extra bad winter doen't mean it hasn't been happening since the beginning of time. This is just the way mother nature works and most times it is not pretty. There have been major deer die-offs every so often and yet the deer always rebound because the toughest ones find a way to survive.
As far as feeding what would be fed to the deer? Deer have been known to starve with a belly full of alfalfa pellets because they are unable to digest them.
Perhaps it would be best to stop building on their migration routes and wintering grounds.

2 guys meet on the beach @ low tide. One is picking up starfish and throwing them back in the ocean. Other asks, "why are you wasting your time? There are thousands of starfish stranded every day on this coast alone. What you are doing won't matter." 1st guy throws another one back, says "it matters to that one."

I heard that the starfish were slowly crawling up the shore to lay eggs. If they don't get far enough up the beach then the eggs will simply be washed into the mouths of hungry fish... And somebody is throwing them back out to sea and forcing them to start the journey over. That sums up how I feel when I find do-gooders feeding in their yards, on north slopes, and in the little mountain villages that are too high for winter range.

That said, we are orchestrating feeding of thousands of deer and elk in southeast Idaho. Even if the feeding doesn't help a lot nutritionally, we are making sure that the feed locations are designed to hold animals where they are able to get a mix of natural forage with the pellets and also where they are safest from being run around by people and our pets and cars. We had a similar program several years ago and while there was no study or direct analysis, it did seem to help. I haven't heard anyone claim that it made matters worse.

Last edited:
Back